Bad at math Ebay auction winners

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bad at math Ebay auction winners

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Sorry, just trolling Ebay auctions and saw this seller's listings and did the math on some. Check out what people pay for 1/4 lb ( umm, maybe avoirdupois ounce too?, not troy? ) of silver coins:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... ckAsSeller

Point is, you'd be better off buying SAE's for $39 or something close via the auctions on those versus what people are getting silver weight-wise with the above seller's auctions.

Goes to show, if you can word your auction the right way, you'll get some high prices. The tell is that auctions have reserves too. Doing the math on the quarter pound coin lots, it is about $76 in spot metal value at current prices. I guess I am kvetching because people just can not do math on some of these silver auctions and sellers may count on that?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Bad at math Ebay auction winners

Postby goodcents » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:40 pm

I've noticed a lot of clad once ounce silver auctions lately. As you've stated - You really have to watch the wording and the fine details. Not saying these guys are crooks by any means. It's a buyer beware and read the auction description closely world out there!
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:51 pm

goodcents wrote:I've noticed a lot of clad once ounce silver auctions lately. As you've stated - You really have to watch the wording and the fine details. Not saying these guys are crooks by any means. It's a buyer beware and read the auction description closely world out there!

I noticed many of the completed auctions for the seller did not sell. From what I could discern, it looks like the seller had their reserve price high enough to cover spot silver compensation with shipping fee and PayPal/Ebay costs added -ie- reserve allowed them to net spot price at least. Going the single coin route, say by selling a half dollar 90%'er, a seller may get bidders to go no more than spot in total outlay. You figure Ebay and PP set-up fees and costs plus shipping costs, it is not as lucrative to sell coins piecemeal unless you got them at face value. Anyway, interesting that selling 1/4,1/2 or one pound lots of silver coins can get so much of a premium. The fact that the seller throws in war nickels though does not seem right. That skews the silver percentage down.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JTM3 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:38 pm

This guy is a jerk. He responds to almost every negative comment by calling the buyer a "moron" or a "deadbeat bidder" - same with neutrals. Also, it seems he may be willing to lie to get back at people for their feedback.

Buyer left neutral: didn't do my research,shame on me...never again!
Here's the reply by gti2: Watch out for this one - same comment every time - avoid and run if comes ur way

I looked at the buyer's "feedback for others" and dating back to 2003, this is the only neutral he left, at least that's how it seems.

Personally, I don't even see a problem with neutral feedback on eBay, but I do try everything to avoid giving a negative rating.
+637 posts
JTM3
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:12 am

This is typical of people who like to dine on suckers. They get a lot of blood out them and it makes the whole game shadier for everyone. E-bay is full of less than honorable sellers so you definitely need to know exactly what you are bidding on. Sellers like that count on people not knowing. Also for those tempted to make money that way. Keep your integrity and soul and be as honest as you can representing what you sell. You'll be rewarded a lot more in ways you don't expect.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Cold-Silver » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:18 am

It looks like he makes good money on the silver lots that do sell though, one of the feedback's left says he got 7oz of war nicks in a 1 LB auction that's quite the loss to the buyer if he is paying for 90% coin. Of course whatever does sell if the profit margin is not to his liking he can always add more war nicks to make it profitable. He is makes one good move by selling crud wheat pennies at a loss so he can boost his feedback to counter the neg feedback left by the silver sales.
Cold-Silver

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals