Sterling S&P Shakers...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sterling S&P Shakers...

Postby tedandcam » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:19 pm

I have a line on a set of salt and pepper shakers. Thay are 6 and 3/4" tall and 2" diameter.They have a base and are chalised shaped with a gothic shaped top. The bottom says "Sterling Cement Weightad" Thay weigh 5.6 Oz.( I am assuming that this person means AVP oz and not troy oz, for the sake of being conservative) ( I am also assuming that is the total weight of both). My question is of that 157 grams, how much do you guys think is actual sterling. What percent of weight do you think a jeweler/ coinshop would offer on something stamped like this. Thay are pretty cool looking but, have a couple small dings. Asking price is $75.

Thanks Ted
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Re: Sterling S&P Shakers...

Postby twoten01 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:45 am

not much, they are cement weighted. I am not 100% sure, but I would say most of the weight is cement, when I buy Sterling to flip, I only buy full sterling pieces(besides knives which have a steel blade) much easier to determine the value, and easier to get rid of.
twoten01
Penny Pincher Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:50 am

I agree, seems way to high.
I have never purchased ones that tall but the few I have were 4.5 x 1.5-1.75 inches. These were cemented weighted and after cleaning them out weighed about 25 -30 grams.
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Your description of the S&P shakers makes them sound beautiful. Works of art. What is wrong with a little art at your dinning table? As works of art, $75.00 is a very good buy. Do you entertain friends and family with dinners? Stuff like this is fun to entertain with.

For scraping, at $75, there needs to be at least 2.5 ozt of silver in them (1.25 ozt each). Prices will soon be going up again (IMHO) and maybe one day you will look back and wish you had bought them.

If you don't buy them, please give me a PM. I am interested in buying them. Got any photos??
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Your description of the S&P shakers makes them sound beautiful. Works of art. What is wrong with a little art at your dinning table? As works of art, $75.00 is a very good buy. Do you entertain friends and family with dinners? Stuff like this is fun to entertain with.

For scraping, at $75, there needs to be at least 2.5 ozt of silver in them (1.25 ozt each). Prices will soon be going up again (IMHO) and maybe one day you will look back and wish you had bought them.

If you don't buy them, please give me a PM. I am interested in buying them. Got any photos??

I havent heard back from this person yet. And yes they are really detailed and cool looking. I am planning on keeping them. But, I would also like the idea that @ scrap they were worth their money. I'll try to have one of the kids post a picture or PM it to you sheik. I'm not very savy with a computer.

Thanks for your help guys!
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:09 pm

tedandcam wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Your description of the S&P shakers makes them sound beautiful. Works of art. What is wrong with a little art at your dinning table? As works of art, $75.00 is a very good buy. Do you entertain friends and family with dinners? Stuff like this is fun to entertain with.

I havent heard back from this person yet. And yes they are really detailed and cool looking. I am planning on keeping them. But, I would also like the idea that @ scrap they were worth their money. I'll try to have one of the kids post a picture or PM it to you sheik. I'm not very savy with a computer.

Thanks for your help guys!

I am not very computer savvy myself. I am looking forward to the photos. :thumbup:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals