Bags of halves?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bags of halves?

Postby brian0918 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:28 pm

I've primarily been sorting boxes of dimes lately. I have to edge check them, open all the rolls, then put them in bank bags and dump them at the bank. I'd like to start sorting halves, but want to get bags like others here (since I'm guessing it's easier than opening all the rolls).

Is it hard to find banks that get bags? Why are some able to get them but not others?

And when you dump, do you do so at a bank with a counter, or can you just dump into a plastic bank bag? I couldn't find any banks around me that had a counter.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Bags of halves?

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:46 pm

They're a beatch to open if they're in paper rolls. When I was doing it Bank of America was accepting bags that you counted and put the amount on. If there was any difference they would credit or debit your acct, but they never did on mine. What they DID do was tell me they were going to start charging $5 a box to order, and an equivalent amount to return. Took all the incentive out of it for me, as I was down to the point of only finding about $40 of silver in $10,000 a week in halves. I envy you guys who are still making a spectacular score occasionally. :(
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby brian0918 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:06 pm

What is the average to expect? Is it really that low?
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:24 pm

read Country's tracking threads. Halves is the best find rate, then dimes, with quarters the worst.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:10 pm

a lot of places don't have bags or cant get them.

some folks who have bags won't sell them to you becuase they know the counting machines are not accurate and they'll either give you too many or too few coins - both of which are a hassle for them.

you are only slightly better off getting bags - you may even be worse off because small time operators use those machines for their dumps.

best thing is to dump in $1000 bags, but not everyone will let you do this. call branches at non-peak hours and ask to speak to the vault teller and ask her the procedures for depositing coins in fed bags. bags cost 50 cents to a buck in bulk, but some banks will give them to you for free.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby madman326 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:54 pm

beauanderos wrote:read Country's tracking threads. Halves is the best find rate, then dimes, with quarters the worst.

wow, never new halves were better % than dimes. might have to switch up my searching for awhile. thanks beauanderos!
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby brian0918 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks, my bank has been giving me the dump bags for free, so that's been nice.

I also didn't know halves had a higher rate of return, although they're definitely a bigger hassle: more weight, more money, more likely to annoy the staff.
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverChaser111 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:04 pm

madman326 wrote:
beauanderos wrote:read Country's tracking threads. Halves is the best find rate, then dimes, with quarters the worst.

wow, never new halves were better % than dimes. might have to switch up my searching for awhile. thanks beauanderos!

I would have to disagree here... at least in my area. Dimes are FAR BETTER than halves. I typically find at least one silver dime per bag... sometimes two, sometimes none. With halves, I've only found 1 90% and 1 40% and I have searched dozens of bags/boxes. Other areas may differ tho...
SilverChaser111
Penny Sorter Member

Postby brian0918 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:28 pm

SilverChaser111 wrote:I would have to disagree here... at least in my area. Dimes are FAR BETTER than halves. I typically find at least one silver dime per bag... sometimes two, sometimes none. With halves, I've only found 1 90% and 1 40% and I have searched dozens of bags/boxes. Other areas may differ tho...

What's your area? Ohio here, and I've been getting usually 3-6 silver dimes per $1000 in boxes searched. I've only been going for a few weeks now, but one of those weeks I got 14 silver dimes in $1000 searched! I haven't tried halves yet, but maybe I'll throw in an occasional box.
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals