Fake Silver popping up BEWARE!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Fake Silver popping up BEWARE!

Postby frugi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 am

I just bought a dinner plate stamped "sterling silver 1952" on the back, it weighs 11.5 ounces. I didn't have my acid test kit, so I couldn't test it, it looked awful.......somewhat like highly polished, densly packed tin or aluminum. It is poorly cast. Upon reaching my home I put acid on it, and it tests as tin. I paid $100.00 for it. I pretty much knew it wasn't silver, but was meeting this person in the ghetto, and was scared to totally tell this guy his plates were fake, he had 12, and I had brought nearly $2000 in cash, (I know I am a dumbass), turns out I didn't get mugged,instead just ripped off for a 100 bucks, either way, you should be able to tell the difference between this whitish colored crap and "real" sterling silver.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Re: Fake Silver popping up BEWARE!

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:07 am

Ouch! That had to hurt. Sometimes the best lessons are the painful ones. Lucky you didn't get mugged.

In my town there was a scam about selling classic old cars. Buyers would show up with cash, then the muggers would beat them up, take the money and drive away in the cars.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 am

Be careful man. With your loot as well as yourself.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby slvrbck » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:49 am

PM's n' guns. . . i need a bigger safe.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby jasmatk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Thats why i always meet people in a public area bank parking lot,mall,police station ect i actually told a person a while back who was selling a sizabe amount of pms on CL i would meet them in front of police station and they hung up on me be carefull everyone the worse things get the more of this we will see.and if you dont carry personal protection then maybe you should think about it especially if your going into ghettos with a couple k in your pocket just my opinion.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:09 pm

I dont ever want people coming to my house for a PM transaction and I dont want to go to other people's houses I dont know w/ a large some of money. I have met many people at various locations and so far have had no problems. These issues you guys are talking about got me thinking. . . what about meeting somewhere like Wal-mart, even in the parking lot. There are soo many friggin cameras at those places I dont think anyone would think about robbing someone there. But then again who knows; low-life people get ballsy
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:32 pm

I think infront of a police station would be much better than Wal-Mart. There are probibly cameras at the police station as well... It would scare off many would be criminals... I wouldnt expect much help from a wal-mart shopper.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:13 pm

nobody will meet you at the police station
Last edited by frugi on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:14 pm

th...e.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:37 pm

When i just bought $100 FV halves, the guy had us meet at the library, where they gave us a private room.
I was delighted to have such a nice safe neutral enviroment to do business.
I will definetly use it again.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:10 pm

I always go armed when I meet people I don't know. I've met people selling other items from other forums and felt safe but you never know meetin people in a parking lot.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:37 pm

mo-silver
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

this took place in STL.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby MO-SILVER! » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:53 pm

Oh really??? What part and what was the guys email/name?

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:55 pm

I live in South County.

MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Metalhead » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:37 pm

Wow, remind me never to do business in the midwest. Wouldn't want to get shot by some gun-toting nut! Geez, if the situation is sketchy enough that you feel like you need to bring a gun....erm, maybe don't go at all. This ain't the Sopranos fellas! I think the only place I'd meet somebody on a PM deal is inside a bank. However, I did make a pretty dumbass move myself this week. Saw an ad on craigslist for a silver serving set. The picture looked good, the pieces look old and ornate. I arranged to come to the person's house to check them out. It was an older lady selling them, her husband and grandkid were there too. The situation was fine, but because I was a little nervous I didn't use much good sense about whether to buy them or not. The bottom of the pieces were marked with the name of the set, part number, and the "japan". But no 925 anywhere which shoulda been my deal breaker right there. I took them anyways for $50 thinking maybe they were still sterling. But I'm pretty sure they are not now. They are probably silver plated, they are so soft and bendable, maybe its pewter or something, I don't know. They seem somewhat old, but I doubt they are worth anything. Shame on me! I've never tried to buy sterling before, so I hopefully I will not repeat the same mistake again. There are a couple more pieces on craigslist that look a little more promising, so I might check them out. But I will definitely use a little more discretion in the future.

But seriously guys, you bring guns when you go buy sterling silver!??
Metalhead

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Metalhead wrote:Wow, remind me never to do business in the midwest.

Hey Metalhead - whatever you do stay out of the south, you wouldn't be able to leave the house. We don't just carry to buy pm's, we carry about everywhere - C-store, Walmart, Dentist office, hell, I guarantee you that on an average Sunday morning at least 20 folks are carrying in my church. :D

Of course the sidearms we carry are just to guarantee we have time to pop the trunk and pull out the heavy stuff. :lol:
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Metalhead » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 am

BamaJoe wrote:
Metalhead wrote:Wow, remind me never to do business in the midwest.

Hey Metalhead - whatever you do stay out of the south, you wouldn't be able to leave the house. We don't just carry to buy pm's, we carry about everywhere - C-store, Walmart, Dentist office, hell, I guarantee you that on an average Sunday morning at least 20 folks are carrying in my church. :D

Of course the sidearms we carry are just to guarantee we have time to pop the trunk and pull out the heavy stuff. :lol:

Haha, I like it! Hey, if you can't beat 'em.....shoot 'em! Just kidding. Its funny, I bought my first rifle up here in the northeast this past summer and I still haven't been out to shoot it. You have to join a club, be a member of this or that, too much work! Maybe I need to move.
Metalhead

Postby MO-SILVER! » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:19 am

Yeah my comment was less about transactions and more about carrying. It's a right I choose to take part in for better or for worse.

MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:58 am

hey MO- I don't know his email, since I advertise with my phone number peaople just call me.
Last edited by frugi on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:00 am

the deal took place at the White Castle @ Grand Avenue & Gravois intersection- I consider that the ghetto.

I grew up 1 mile north in the Tower Grove area. Which is coming up, but still getting bad insome areas
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby MO-SILVER! » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:03 pm

I grew up off Hampton on Loran, near St Gabriels church, I live in the Oakville area now. And yeah, Grand/gravois is a little rough.

MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:16 am

MO-
Last edited by frugi on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:04 am

Meet in your bank. Cameras and security everywhere and you don't have to carry $$$ anywhere.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby MO-SILVER! » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Yes frugi, it is legal for anyone to conceal a firearm while in your car over the age of 21 as long as you legally own the firearm. You must remove the firearm from your person and conceal it in the car when getting out though, if you dont have a ccw. Whether it's in the glove box or wherever this includes a box of other sort as long as it can be closed and the firearm is out of sight.

MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals