I have a new dump bank!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I have a new dump bank!

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:30 am

Bank of Oklahoma (BOK) is the second largest bank in Oklahoma. They cut me off over a year ago.

Correction: BOK is the largest bank in Okla.

The chief vault teller demanded to know what I was doing with all those halves. "Article One, Section Ten, of the US Constitution says we are suppose to have silver & gold for coin money. I am doing my patriotic duty to use US minted coin and circulate it into the populace." That answer was the truth. I didn't dump halves on any bank, I spent them at a rate of $2,000 per week. But, my answer only pissed her off, and I was eventually cut off.

During my last visit, I was asked if there was anything else the teller could do for me. "Yes, I will take a couple of boxes of halves if you have them." The response was emphatic. "Oh no, we don't carry halves at all! Our vault teller will not allow them in the bank! There is absolutely no room in our vaults for halves!" We talked a little more. I walked out of the bank with a smile on my face.

What little miss vault teller doesn't know is I have enlisted the help of a nephew who is a machinist. He is going to help me finish building a simple machine that will sort halves very rapidly. Looks like we will be dumping halves at BOK very soon! I guess she will have to order a larger vault! Hehehe!
Last edited by Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: I have a new dump bank!

Postby mishra142 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:09 am

best of luck to you.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 am

Will your half sorter be patented? Can you make the 2nd one for a lot less than the first one?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:08 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Will your half sorter be patented? Can you make the 2nd one for a lot less than the first one?

First I have to take it from a rough proto-type to a product that will work accurately with speed. Next I have to do a patent search to make sure I am not infringing on someone else's patent. Third, if I get a patent, (or permission from the original patent holder), we'll see about taking it to market.

Coin sorting machines have been around since at least 1964, so I am guessing the concept I am employing is already patented.

Sure, Shinn-san, if I can't take it to market, I'll publish it here at Realcent for everyone to copy. :thumbup:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Will your half sorter be patented? Can you make the 2nd one for a lot less than the first one?

First I have to take it from a rough proto-type to a product that will work accurately with speed. Next I have to do a patent search to make sure I am not infringing on someone else's patent. Third, if I get a patent, (or permission from the original patent holder), we'll see about taking it to market.

Coin sorting machines have been around since at least 1964, so I am guessing the concept I am employing is already patented.

Sure, Shinn-san, if I can't take it to market, I'll publish it here at Realcent for everyone to copy. :thumbup:

Pictures, or it ain't happening! :lol: We'll be waiting to hear how the prototype goes.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:20 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Pictures, or it ain't happening! :lol: We'll be waiting to hear how the prototype goes.

Yeah, you know I can't do that yet! :P Sorry, no photos, drawings, or descriptions until later on. Stay tuned.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:53 pm

unless you get your halves by the bag I don't see the point in running them through a sorter. You can edge check them as fast as you can open the rolls.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 pm

bman wrote:unless you get your halves by the bag I don't see the point in running them through a sorter. You can edge check them as fast as you can open the rolls.

I am not a very fast hand sorter. I suck at ripping the rolls open. I edge check 'em, then I go back thru them again to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
bman wrote:unless you get your halves by the bag I don't see the point in running them through a sorter. You can edge check them as fast as you can open the rolls.

I am not a very fast hand sorter. I suck at ripping the rolls open. I edge check 'em, then I go back thru them again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Do you ever catch yourself missing any the first time around? If so, about how often do you miss?
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby brian0918 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:34 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Maybe you could try the tissue test on the edges? Would that work?
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tedandcam » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:58 am

brian0918 wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

What is the tissue test? I have heard of it before, but have no idea what that is.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:06 am

tedandcam wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Do you ever catch yourself missing any the first time around? If so, about how often do you miss?

Yes, I have a few times. More often I waste time by stopping to look at discolored edges of clad coins that throw me off pace.

Edge checking, sound checking ("pinging"), and looking at colors are all subject to human error. I am a human subject to making those errors and that slows me down in the process. I don't want to miss a coin. I am too slow at it to make it profitable. I would be better off just working more hours at my job, and then buying the coins out right.

My contraption just speeds up the process for me.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:09 am

brian0918 wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Now that is cool! I have never heard of that before. What about tarnished coins? Will it still work?

I will have to pull some coins out of Ft. Knox and check it out. Thanks!
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:12 am

Try creating a mock roll of a mix of clad, 90%, and 40%, some tarnished ones (if available), mix them up randomly, and see if you can catch them all when the 1-ply tissue is covering them up. I'm not sure if the test only works with the face of the coin and not the edge.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:46 pm

brian0918 wrote:Try creating a mock roll of a mix of clad, 90%, and 40%, some tarnished ones (if available), mix them up randomly, and see if you can catch them all when the 1-ply tissue is covering them up. I'm not sure if the test only works with the face of the coin and not the edge.

will do.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

I get two boxes per week and can have them sorted and rerolled in less than an hour. Generally, I do it on the way to church. My wife drives and I sort in the passengers seat. The round trip is 40 minutes. I am usually done by then . My halves never leave the car. I figure it didn't cost me any time either, because I was going to church anyway. The only other thing that I would be doing would be talking to the family, which I still do.

I use my fingernail to unroll the end, pop them out, look at them and then put them back into the same wrapper.

I edge sort and sound sort. I might miss a few, but I doubt it.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 pm

knibloe wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

I get two boxes per week and can have them sorted and rerolled in less than an hour. Generally, I do it on the way to church. My wife drives and I sort in the passengers seat. The round trip is 40 minutes. I am usually done by then . My halves never leave the car. I figure it didn't cost me any time either, because I was going to church anyway. The only other thing that I would be doing would be talking to the family, which I still do.

I use my fingernail to unroll the end, pop them out, look at them and then put them back into the same wrapper.

I edge sort and sound sort. I might miss a few, but I doubt it.

Some got it, and some don't. I am glad for you. :thumbup:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals