Bank SDB Power Outage

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bank SDB Power Outage

Postby joeinnj » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:15 am

Anyone have any knowledge about Bank Safety deposit boxes during power outages?

I'm in Central NJ where there is still plenty of power outages due to Hurricane Sandy, including of coarse banks.
I understand the boxes are secured in an "x" foot thick vault but are the alarm and surveillance systems disabled also during power outages?
If yes, another argument FOR NOT trusting your valuables to a bank SDB.
joeinnj

Re: Bank SDB Power Outage

Postby natsb88 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:33 am

A locked bank vault will pose a challenge, power or not. Surveillance systems and alarms usually have battery backups (otherwise burglars could just cut power to the building before their break-in attempt). The real question is how long they last. I'd venture to guess some banks also have generators.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ZenOps » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Yup, they just lock it manually (spin the manual locking mechanism)

And call it a bank holiday, no or very limited withdrawls until the power comes back on.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby joeinnj » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Logical answers...Thanks.
I enjoy reading many different posting boards on several subjects (PM’s, other metals, numismatics, the economy, survivalist etc..) which at times can plant the paranoid bug in you.
There’s another Silver posting board where man are they mostly all anti keeping PMs in Bank SDB.
Me, I always believed that a bank has a mighty slimmer chance of being robbed than my home and even if / when SHTF comes you will most certainly and eventually get back into your SDB

Anyway, thanks for the logical answers n this board seems to be more newbie (posting) friendly n not full of arrogance.
Enjoy the weekend n take a peek around for some possible buying opportunities on todays dip.
joeinnj

Postby Mossy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:48 pm

This problem is why you should always diversify both investments and storage methods. Don't put everything in one place.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals