I think I snagged a deal...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I think I snagged a deal...

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi guys (and gals too),
I think I did well on the Bay today, but I wanted to check with my community of numismatics addicts.

So I scored a bunch of silver coins and I want to know how I did:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=

Tell me if I got an A, B, C, D, or F. ;)
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I think I snagged a deal...

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:32 pm

It's hard to tell by the listing.

Just an estimate, 6.58 oz ASW.

This would be a good contest.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 999Ni » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:51 pm

well based on silver content alone:

$182.50/14oz. = $13.03oz.

Um thats an "A" in my book.
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:04 pm

999Ni wrote:well based on silver content alone:

$182.50/14oz. = $13.03oz.

Um thats an "A" in my book.

405g/31.1=13.02OZ TOTAL WEIGHT.

There are 5 un pesos so subtract about 80g

now you have 325g total weight.

I'd estimate the average purity at .750X325=243g/31.1=7.83oz

plus the .3 oz for the pesos. you are probably closer to 8oz ASW, that would be really good.

Let us know what's in there!. It will be fun to go through them.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 999Ni » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 pm

oooooopsy...i thought it was 14oz. of silver, I misread... :oops:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:17 pm

These mixed foreign SILVER lots are always interesting. But, you've got to be on top of things and analyze what's in there. I got a similar lot tonight for $177.50, but it was guaranteed to have 7.5 troy ounces of SILVER in the one I won and I could see the higher fineness SILVER coins in the photo. When I see the 10% Mexican pesos in these lots, I walk away from them. I like to see lots of Aussie and GB sterling coins, also higher SILVER content European coins, in the mix to get a good feel that the lot is nice. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Thogey, that's almost exactly how I calculated it.

Point well taken, Country, I considered those lousy mexican coins. :D Oh, and nice score!

I can't wait til they arrive.
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 97guns » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:33 pm

i'd like to get my latest deal scrutinized. i used mr rebates for 5%, i get a total of 8% discount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWNX%3AIT

i picked up 43.405 oz. for a cost of $992 after the rebates and shipping costs and according to my math im into each coin for $19.92 and $22.94 per ounce.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 pm

97guns wrote:i'd like to get my latest deal scrutinized. i used mr rebates for 5%, i get a total of 8% discount.

i picked up 43.405 oz. for a cost of $992 after the rebates and shipping costs and according to my math im into each coin for $19.92 and $22.94 per ounce.

97... I know you probably did very well on this deal, just like you did on the Eagle's sets. You seem to really know how to apply all the discounts, which can knock your final costs down by several percent. ImageAre you sure you don't have some shopping genes from the distaff side in your DNA? BTW, I just wanted to add... if you bid on higher-priced items (>$1,000), you have less competition and can sometimes score better deals.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 97guns » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:53 pm

beauanderos wrote:
97guns wrote:i'd like to get my latest deal scrutinized. i used mr rebates for 5%, i get a total of 8% discount.

97... Are you sure you don't have some shopping genes from the distaff side in your DNA? BTW, I just wanted to add... if you bid on higher-priced items (>$1,000), you have less competition and can sometimes score better deals.

nope, its because im chinese. nobody can stretch a dollar farther than a chinese. about bidding on higher priced items the rebate maxes out at $50 which is the $1000 mark. i got lucky on this auction because of the way the seller worded the listing. he didnt get enough search hits, i was the only bidder.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Got some nice Siam Sterling spoons for a sweet deal. Almost 2 ounces sterling for 35 bucks plus I really like the Siam style. I did not think I could find good deals on silver on e-bay since the recent increases in the the silver price but they are still out there. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=360324604558&si=wmn8UZSS4hO%252F0w6AZpte4lyViZw%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_3305wt_1141
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:17 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Got some nice Siam Sterling spoons for a sweet deal. Almost 2 ounces sterling for 35 bucks plus I really like the Siam style. I did not think I could find good deals on silver on e-bay since the recent increases in the the silver price but they are still out there. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=360324604558&si=wmn8UZSS4hO%252F0w6AZpte4lyViZw%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_3305wt_1141

Nice find. I bet it helps when the seller doesn't include the word "Silver" anywhere in the item description.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Coins arrived today! :D :D :D

Some real nice Philippines silver from US colony days, LOTS of British and British colonial nice stuff, an 1815 British Shilling, 1783 coin I think...but I haven't research them all yet.
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:13 pm

That's good the Pi stuff is .900 and the old brit stuff is .925
Thogey

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals