How old is that silver in your hand?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How old is that silver in your hand?

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:44 am

An article that made me go hmmm. Bolivian silver was going to China back in the 1500's. That's where all the silver (and gold) is going now, too.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/346607/title/Mexican_silver_made_it_into_English_coins
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: How old is that silver in your hand?

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:36 pm

If you think about most US silver coins came from melted foreign coins so no telling how old the silver is in that junk silver is or what coin it was from Wikipedia--

Coinage Act of 1857 was an act of the United States Congress which forbade the use of foreign coins as legal tender, repealing all acts "authorizing the currency of foreign gold or silver coins". Specific coins would be exchanged at the Treasury and recoined. The act was approved on February 21, 1857.
Before this Act, foreign coins, such as the Spanish dollar, were widely used[1] and allowed as legal tender by the Act of 1806.[2]
In addition to foreign coins being banned, the Coinage Act of 1857 also discontinued the American half-cent.

And see--http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsl&fileName=011/llsl011.db&recNum=184
Last edited by henrysmedford on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Both interesting items - thanks for the posts!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Numis Pam » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:13 am

Nice read! Very interesting indeed..... :angel:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:39 am

They say that all the gold and all the silver are as old as the big bang... exploding star, that kind of thing.

I'm not sure how old that is. Maybe I'll ask God when it's my time.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:56 am

Market Harmony wrote:They say that all the gold and all the silver are as old as the big bang... exploding star, that kind of thing.

I'm not sure how old that is. Maybe I'll ask God when it's my time.

The Big Bang produced 99.999% hydrogen, with a smidgeon of helium.

Supernovae produced all the other elements, including silver.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:01 pm

shinnosuke wrote:An article that made me go hmmm. Bolivian silver was going to China back in the 1500's. That's where all the silver (and gold) is going now, too.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/346607/title/Mexican_silver_made_it_into_English_coins

That was a very fascinating and good article.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals