Irish Construction Workers find 81 Gold Coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Irish Construction Workers find 81 Gold Coins

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 am

Builders carrying out stabilisation work on an old pub building have unearthed one of the most significant finds of gold coins ever recorded in Ireland.
Eighty-one coins, mostly guineas and half guineas dating back to the 17th century, were dug up from clay underneath floorboards in a fire-damaged premises on Main Street, Carrick-on-Suir, Co Tipperary.

Marie McMahon, curator at South Tipperary Museum in Clonmel, held the coins in storage before they were handed over to the National Museum of Ireland.

"There are one or two coins buckled and one tarnished, but overall fantastic condition. They'd be incredibly valuable but legally we would not be allowed to discuss that."

Experts at the National Museum, which is putting the coins on show for the first time on Wednesday, described the find as the most important in decades.

"No comparable 17th-century hoard of gold coins has been found in Ireland since the discovery in Portarlington, Co Laois, around 1947, of a hoard that contained little over 100 gold coins as well as some silver coins," a spokeswoman for the museum said.

The collection depicts the reigns of Charles II, James II and Mary and William III, who are featured in a joint portrait.

The hoard was unearthed by builders on January 14 as they lifted floorboards during groundworks at Cooney's pub in the town

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 67420.html

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Irish Construction Workers find 81 Gold Coins

Postby Engineer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 am

It was probably Thogey's great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather McKinney...hiding his coins from his soon-to-be widow.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:29 am

Is Ireland one of those countries where if you find something like this its instantly the under the ownership of the Govt and not the person who found it/owns the land/ or heir?
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 am

Robarons wrote:Is Ireland one of those countries where if you find something like this its instantly the under the ownership of the Govt and not the person who found it/owns the land/ or heir?

It would appear so, since the museum apparently has it and it didn't say anything about them purchasing it. Bastards.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby algae21 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:06 am

My parents owned a small apartment building in Chicago whom they bought from an elderly woman (basically our adopted grandmother). She had always told us that her father had passed away suddenly sometime in the early 1920's, and the monthly allotment of gold for the mortgage payment was never found. He also had a habit of stashing valuables, in hiding places, throughout the building.

As my dad always recruited us to help with remodeling when we were growing up, there was always a lot of anticipation anytime there were walls to come down, etc.. We never found the bag of gold, but there certainly were some interesting things hidden away that we did uncover.

I always wondered if my dad wasn't just trying to get free labor from us? :lol:
algae21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:58 pm

If I were that construction worker those coins would be in my sock drawer not a museum. :shifty:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Exactly.

The recognition is fleeting, and ultimately too taxing. ;)

Why would you want to volunteer it.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:07 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:If I were that construction worker those coins would be in my sock drawer not a museum. :shifty:

Yeah, I would be like... "look at the 15 gold coins we found"...... :D :twisted: :lol:

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 am

they already thought of that... they originally found 250! Watch... that entire crew will be driving Aston Martin sports cars after the news fades away :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals