Interesting find in a dime bag today...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Interesting find in a dime bag today...

Postby mbailey1234 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 pm

I need some help on this one. Fairly new at sorting dimes but the bank only had 3 bags of pennies for us today so we picked up $1000 bag of dimes off of their coin machine. 10 silvers and a........???

What exactly is this? It's a 2005 P dime but it looks like copper. If you look closely their seems to be just a tad bit of clad on the front right but everything else is copper. It's not magnetic and weighs correctly but I haven't ever seen one like this.

I took a pic of the front and back with a silver dime and a new penny for color reference.

So my questions for all you seasoned dime sorting experts are....

Is it rare?

Is it worth sending in for grading?

What's it worth?

What would someone offer me as is?

(I edited this and took off the facebook links)
Last edited by mbailey1234 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Interesting find in a dime bag today...

Postby Engineer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:07 pm

I either don't have permission to see the page, or the photos are gone.

Decent score on the silver. That's about twice what I normally average.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 pm

I don't facebook, so it's not letting me in.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mbailey1234 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Let's try this.... I never seem to be able to go from camera to post on here but if I go somewhere else and save it (facebook) then save to desktop then upload then it usually works... :? :? :?

Anyway here are the pics.
Attachments
front of dimes.jpg
front of dimes.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Back of dimes.jpg
Back of dimes.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 867 times
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:30 pm

I would consider letting it go for this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-P-Double-M ... 7675.l2557
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Not to tie two threads together, but I just entered the serial # into the NGC app, and it came back with a picture and detail of the slab!

(I tried scanning the bar code on the monitor, but that didn't work)
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 pm

That NGC specimen says it weighs 1.3 grams, and you say yours weighs normally? According to Redbook that'd be 2.27 grams. If yours is close to that I don't see how it could be missing it's clad layer.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mbailey1234 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Just rechecked it and it is 2.2 grams. Can you see by the pics what I mean about the light clad on the face behind roosies head? As far as I can tell it sure looks like it is missing the top layer. It doesn't seem to be altered but who knows?

I have always wanted to send something in to be graded. If someone wants to educate me I'm all ears. Feel free to post a procedure, cost or turnaround time so others can benefit or if you don't want to put it out there for the whole world to see you can PM me.

Thanks!!
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:02 am

Found some weights on the coinflation site.
.9167 = copper %
.0833 = nickel %
2.268 = total weight in grams

Copper weight should be 2.079 grams. Although I have a 500 gram jewelry scale it could be off that much. It's pretty good at weighing rolls of quarters if you know what I mean.

Any takers on helping me get this sent in?
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 am

I had a quarter like this- I think their called 'strike thru errors'

My quarter weighed a bit less and had interest in the dealers I took it too. A graded coin of this variety went for $200-$600 on ebay.

I would take it to some dealers to get some opinions- ones that have knowledge of errors would be good. Then based off those results send it in.

But I will say that my quarter with a missing layer of nickel did weigh less. It also had no signs of after mint damage that most coins tend to get. In my opinion it looks a bit discolored rather a layer missing- but I dont know jack either
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby madman326 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:52 pm

pretty cool. never knew something like that might be worth something. i have been meaning for a while to post a pic of an odd penny i found sorting a couple months ago. the penny is just the reverse. the whole edge is there too, its just missing the zinc innards and the copper obverse. never seen anything like it in my short sorting/stacking career. might posts pics tonight in copper forum.
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:38 pm

I've seen these before. The coin appears to have been chemically treated/dumped/dropped in an unknown chemical. It produces that rainbow-ish hue. And if it's chemically treated, there is a good possibility it stripped some metal in the process a/or it's the chemical residue.

I've seen from coins that just look like a normal coin with the hue, to full blown thin as a wafer coins where it looks like it's an AG/Cull coin.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:33 pm

cesariojpn wrote:I've seen these before. The coin appears to have been chemically treated/dumped/dropped in an unknown chemical. It produces that rainbow-ish hue. And if it's chemically treated, there is a good possibility it stripped some metal in the process a/or it's the chemical residue.

I've seen from coins that just look like a normal coin with the hue, to full blown thin as a wafer coins where it looks like it's an AG/Cull coin.

I had also wondered if it had been exposed to some sort of chemical that stripped off the clad layer. Thing is there are several graded ones out there that are bringing $250 and up if only one side is non-clad and $500 and up for coins that are missing it on both sides. Are these just a fluke deal that are taking advantage of unknowing buyers then?

I think I found someone to send it in for like $35 so I might as well do that and see what happens.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby baggerman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:38 pm

I metal detect and one time I mixed pennies and clad in a tumbler to try and clean them and all the clad came out with a copper colored hue to them.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:32 pm

The nickel layer is a lot thicker than just plating so this has not been stripped of the nickel layer. If it was the detail would be destroyed. Make sure that this is not just a "wash" from a chemical that has now given it its copper color. I think you would have to scratch it to see though.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 pm

If it's missing the clad on one side, it should be around 1.98 grams.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NJstacker22 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 pm

hm...... that's very interesting.
NJstacker22

Postby hags » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:12 pm

mbailey1234 wrote:I had also wondered if it had been exposed to some sort of chemical that stripped off the clad layer. Thing is there are several graded ones out there that are bringing $250 and up if only one side is non-clad and $500 and up for coins that are missing it on both sides. Are these just a fluke deal that are taking advantage of unknowing buyers then?

I think I found someone to send it in for like $35 so I might as well do that and see what happens.

Here's my 1 sided non clad and mine weighs 1.88 grams..
I'd be interested in sending mine in as well...

hags
Attachments
img024.jpg
img024.jpg (156.52 KiB) Viewed 471 times
img025.jpg
img025.jpg (165.85 KiB) Viewed 471 times
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Just wondering if either of you guys sent your coins off to be graded and what else you may have found out?
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hags » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:42 am

Numis Pam wrote:Just wondering if either of you guys sent your coins off to be graded and what else you may have found out?

I never sent mine in...It's still sitting in it's holder.
I've never sent a coin in for grading, so I'd need some help to make this happen.

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals