I set my stacking goals

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I set my stacking goals

Postby SilverEye » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:14 am

I've been picking up silver and a little gold here and there, whatever I could get a good deal on. Weird foreign coins at 10% under melt, ASE's and Morgans at spot, random bars and rounds that somebody needs to dump, that kind of thing. No real focus.

Well I ordered some tubes from Wizard the other day, and here they are!

2013-03-15_20-14-44_68_opt.jpg
2013-03-15_20-14-44_68_opt.jpg (44.43 KiB) Viewed 369 times

Here's the goal, 10 tubes of each:

dime
quarter
half
Morgan
silver eagle
Canadian dollar
40% Kennedy half

I'm an idiot and messed up my order. I meant to order 10 ASE tubes, but somehow I bought 33mm instead. This is my fault, not the fault of Wizard; their website is awesome. No worries, the tubes fit 40% Kennedy's just fine. Those weren't originally part of the hoard, so I added them because I already have a few and now I have tubes also, and they look different so I won't confuse them as easy.

I picked these denominations because they are very easily recognizable, not faked (except ASE's I know), huge ready market for them so I can dump them if needed, small buy / ask spread so I won't lose too much if I have to fire sale them, large quantity of small denoms so I can make change for small items if we do end up having to use silver when SHTF.

I started filling tubes, and wow, I have a LOT more to stack!
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Re: I set my stacking goals

Postby scyther » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 am

SilverEye wrote:I picked these denominations because they are very easily recognizable, not faked (except ASE's I know)

I hate to break it to you, but yes they are. I would think Morgans would be faked even more than ASEs, actually. 40% I imagine would be pretty safe, although fakes probably still exist.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:27 am

I've never ordered tubes before. Was Wizard the least expensive online source?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:35 am

Silvereye it looks by the amount of tubes you purchased that you have a bit of stacking work to do. Good luck. Slow and steady, it works for me. :thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Z00 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:33 am

beauanderos wrote:I've never ordered tubes before. Was Wizard the least expensive online source?

It depends on qty. Sometimes you can get decent used on the bay. I buy boxes of 100 (usually round ones, as they are the cheapest.) That way I get an eggcrate storage box.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 am

You will have a nice stack when you are done.
dakota1955

Postby barrytrot » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:21 am

Great goals and Wizards is where I've bought all my tubes and boxes as well. I'm not sure they are the cheapest but they are competitive and ship fast and well.
barrytrot

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:31 am

Ditto on Wizards.

Congrats on some clear goals. Work toward them until you attain them.

Then re-assess, reset, decide if you need to set new goals and continue onward.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:27 am

Nice goals. That will be an impressive stack. I probaby need to get more organized myself. Thanks for the motivation!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:40 am

My question is where the h#!! are you finding Morgans and ASE's at spot?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:00 am

I use wizard as well, and like the square tubes the best.

Congrats on your goals, I am not nearly that focused on how much......or which denomination. And to agree with others, there are lots of fakes out there always be careful. Good luck! :clap:
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverEye » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:41 pm

beauanderos wrote:I've never ordered tubes before. Was Wizard the least expensive online source?

Within pennies. Tubes are pretty cheap, 30 to 40 cents each. Check your LCS, they might carry new tubes, maybe even give you used tubes for free if you buy something else.

NDFarmer wrote:My question is where the h#!! are you finding Morgans and ASE's at spot?

Pawn shops. I've found there are two kinds of pawn shops when it comes to coins. Some shops will slap a $50 price sticker on them and they don't care how long they sit there because eventually a sucker will come by looking to blow his track winnings. Other shops just want to turn stuff fast and will take spot to free up the cash. If you go at month end sometimes a commissioned salesman just wants to pad his numbers so he's willing to make a deal.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby tedandcam » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:48 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
My question is where the h#!! are you finding Morgans and ASE's at spot?

Pawn shops. I've found there are two kinds of pawn shops when it comes to coins. Some shops will slap a $50 price sticker on them and they don't care how long they sit there because eventually a sucker will come by looking to blow his track winnings. Other shops just want to turn stuff fast and will take spot to free up the cash. If you go at month end sometimes a commissioned salesman just wants to pad his numbers so he's willing to make a deal.

Thanks for that idea. I'm gonna start going by the pawn shops in my area to see what I might be able to come up with.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:17 pm

scyther wrote:
SilverEye wrote:I picked these denominations because they are very easily recognizable, not faked (except ASE's I know)

I hate to break it to you, but yes they are. I would think Morgans would be faked even more than ASEs, actually. 40% I imagine would be pretty safe, although fakes probably still exist.

As far as I know almost all Morgan fakes are "Carson City" coins and other key dates. I've yet to hear about common date, circulated Morgan's being faked.

I'm not the biggest fan of 40% halves (unless they come from the bank). Instead I would add one more .999 coin to your mix; perhaps the Canadian Maple or a well known generic round. You should also consider nixing the Canadian dollar in favor of more reasonably priced 80% Canadian quarters and dimes.

Good luck,
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:06 pm

theo wrote:
scyther wrote:

As far as I know almost all Morgan fakes are "Carson City" coins and other key dates. I've yet to hear about common date, circulated Morgan's being faked.

I'm not the biggest fan of 40% halves (unless they come from the bank). Instead I would add one more .999 coin to your mix; perhaps the Canadian Maple or a well known generic round. You should also consider nixing the Canadian dollar in favor of more reasonably priced 80% Canadian quarters and dimes.

Good luck,

I hate to break it to you theo
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/121 ... llars.html

You can buy all the fake morgans and peace dollars you want.

All unslabbed dollars are suspect.

You can also get 80 silver plated walkers from romania just $399 shipped
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/111 ... ollar.html
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 pm

SilverEye wrote:

Within pennies. Tubes are pretty cheap, 30 to 40 cents each. Check your LCS, they might carry new tubes, maybe even give you used tubes for free if you buy something else.

NDFarmer wrote:My question is where the h#!! are you finding Morgans and ASE's at spot?

You are lucky to have a pawn shop near you that will sell you coins at spot. All of the pawn shops in my area are the first kind you mentioned. They just put $50.00 and up on everything take it or leave it.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals