"Must Own Junk Silver: Revisited"

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"Must Own Junk Silver: Revisited"

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:04 am

(its an "ok" article, but has a neat chart)

"On September 10th, I wrote one of my most important RANTS ever – “MUST OWN JUNK SILVER.” I have long viewed “junk” silver (pre-1965 U.S. dimes, quarters, and half-dollars, all of which have 90% silver content) as the most important “protection purchase” one can make; and given the rapid deterioration of the global economic situation in recent months, that belief is STRONGER THAN EVER.

Junk silver is perhaps the worst misnomer on the planet, as no product represents more “value” for the price. Given its small denominations (a “junk dime,” for example, is worth roughly $3), government issuance, and scarcity, no Precious Metal item is better suited for an uncertain future; particularly if the worst-case scenario of a temporary “barter society” emerges.

This winter, junk silver premiums have surged to their highest levels since late 2008’s Global Meltdown I; with current pricing at roughly spot plus $2.75-$3.25/oz, compared to levels closer to spot plus $0.00-$1.00/oz over most of the past four years. Below are the prices one of our competitors will pay to secure your supply, although virtually NO ONE is selling these days, and precious few likely will. By the way, if you purchase metals from Miles Franklin, we charge ZERO commissions if you choose to sell the same metal back to us…"

On September 10th, I wrote one of my most important RANTS ever – “MUST OWN JUNK SILVER.” I have long viewed “junk” silver (pre-1965 U.S. dimes, quarters, and half-dollars, all of which have 90% silver content) as the most important “protection purchase” one can make; and given the rapid deterioration of the global economic situation in recent months, that belief is STRONGER THAN EVER.

Junk silver is perhaps the worst misnomer on the planet, as no product represents more “value” for the price. Given its small denominations (a “junk dime,” for example, is worth roughly $3), government issuance, and scarcity, no Precious Metal item is better suited for an uncertain future; particularly if the worst-case scenario of a temporary “barter society” emerges.

This winter, junk silver premiums have surged to their highest levels since late 2008’s Global Meltdown I; with current pricing at roughly spot plus $2.75-$3.25/oz, compared to levels closer to spot plus $0.00-$1.00/oz over most of the past four years. Below are the prices one of our competitors will pay to secure your supply, although virtually NO ONE is selling these days, and precious few likely will. By the way, if you purchase metals from Miles Franklin, we charge ZERO commissions if you choose to sell the same metal back to us…

http://blog.milesfranklin.com/must-own- ... -revisited

(actually the article is poorly written, and "salesman-like"...the way i see i see it, i rough short 90's (never the words "junk silver", maybe in those filthy bags of 1,000 FV...they are "junk"...the way i figure, short is 7 toz the roll...if its 28 times face, thats $40 the toz, and at 301, its $43 the toz....most high qual 90 halves are trading 290-300, which is $41-43, which is 14.50 to 16.50 premium over the board, basis may...and yes i know its, 7.23 toz the BU roll)
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: "Must Own Junk Silver: Revisited"

Postby angel2004 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm lucky to have a closeby dealer that has stock and sells at 3% over spot yet
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals