This is a good entry point for young stackers?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

This is a good entry point for young stackers?

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 am

You work with any college age people? Maybe time to suggest to them instead of buying a Me-pod take some of that cash and buy an ounce of silver weekly from silvertowne or somebody. I mean, as we get closer and closer to, say, a price of $10 or so per an ounce, these youths will look back a few decades from now and be thankful that somebody got them started in stacking.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: This is a good entry point for young stackers?

Postby Treetop » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:22 pm

I was thinking along these lines as well. A friend of mine had recently finally decided to get into silver. Likely based on me bringing it up. he got in at 29 I believe. Some believe the price will drop from here as well.

As far as Im concerned silver was undervalued at 49 let alone 22. Im in the camp that expects the silver to gold ratio to return to historical ratios and I dont expect it to be because gold dropped significantly.

I must say Im hesitant to tell anyone the virtues of PMs at thi point. Nothing changed imo, beyond what I assume is the short term price but the volatility of PMs when much of the investing world preaches against silver seems to make me sound wild eyed and silly to many I know. even after I tell them in the few years Ive had silver Ive more then doubled my money. Few investors in markets did the same in this span. Even with silver less then half its peak in this period.

For new stackers though? Its tough imo. Im guessing many who got on board the last few years have lost faith. the fundamentals didnt change though. Things are still headed in the same direction irrefutably by my math.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Young as in less than 120.

It's a dang good entry point for all of us!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverEye » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Anytime is a good entry point, the sooner the better. Teach that as long as the fundamentals are good, you stay in. Teach about dollar-cost averaging. Teach about value.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:19 pm

The biggest stack begins with the first Ounce! I'm trying to talk my good friend into acquiring his first real silver. :thumbup:

If prices keep dropping, I may be able to pick up some 1/10 ounce Gold ASEs! :)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Been working with a few sorting for the last few years. Ones parent finally got it and now buy all of his $100 bags of 40% which he just sold them his third one. I trained him not to sell his 90%. Only flip it for 999 or gold. We talk numi all the time.
Edit
He just turned 18, the other 2 are 16. I also work with Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.
Last edited by reddirtcoins on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Zincanator » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:30 pm

I just realized the title of this thread is 'young stackers' not 'young SLACKERs'

Ha ha actually I guess it's a good entry point for the slackers too :lol: .
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Asking PM bugs if it's a good time to stack is like asking a realtor if it's a good time to buy :lol:
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:45 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:Edit
He just turned 18, the other 2 are 16. I also work with Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.

This is awesome. Good job my friend. I've been giving silver to my son for a couple years, he keeps it all, and I think is slightly aware. He has been stationed in Germany for the past five yrs and finally moves back stateside this fall. Once here, I plan to really encourage him on this aspect of preps. He is pretty solid in other areas already, and is increasingly aware of the world we live in. It is nice to see him waking up, maturing.

I started stacking when it was around $14 a few yrs back........wish I'd have started 20 yrs ago.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Imagine telling the young stacker that silver prices dropping lower is a great thing. They might look at you like you are crazy. It has been the trend to want to see silver rise in price. It may never again, sigh, but it is better than Geico money.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Zincanator wrote:I just realized the title of this thread is 'young stackers' not 'young SLACKERs'

Ha ha actually I guess it's a good entry point for the slackers too :lol: .

I'm younger than college, and my generation in 95% pot heads, druggies, general dip-s***. the other 5% are going to surpass all expectations.

as for stacking, with the premiums right now, to hell with it!!! :evil: :x
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:24 pm

Odd, my previous post seems to have vanished?

Buy now. Silver will go back up eventually.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RD5 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:52 pm

:roll: I'm a young stacker here! I buy as much as I can
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Postby chefdan311 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm

started about six months ago. I'd buy more lots more if it was easier to get my hands on
chefdan311

Postby AirTractor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 pm

I just took my son last Sunday to a friends birthday party in the park (5yr olds) and we gave him some copper 1oz rounds as a gift. He was really pumped. Hope he collects metal for life...
AirTractor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:48 am

It is still a good time for anyone to start. Silver is about half it's high right now. :thumbup:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby angel2004 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:16 pm

I agree, this is a good time. I would, however, try to find a local shop to buy in small increments. No postage etc, silver in hand at purchase. Just my thoughts.
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Given the current and ongoing state of affairs anytime is a good time to start stacking. I'm talking PMs and base metals such as copper and nickle coins.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:48 pm

I agree, anytime is a great time to start stacking. I wish I would have had the mentality I have now years ago when I felt like I had to set aside a chunk of change to get started. Even a silver dime per week is a slow and steady wins the race type of game plan with practically no measureable impact to finances. Anybody can skip a cup of coffee, or eat out one less time per month to help secure their financial future.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:19 pm

InfleXion wrote:I agree, anytime is a great time to start stacking. I wish I would have had the mentality I have now years ago when I felt like I had to set aside a chunk of change to get started. Even a silver dime per week is a slow and steady wins the race type of game plan with practically no measureable impact to finances. Anybody can skip a cup of coffee, or eat out one less time per month to help secure their financial future.

+1 Awesome post... totally agree!!
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Numis Pam wrote:
InfleXion wrote:I agree, anytime is a great time to start stacking. I wish I would have had the mentality I have now years ago when I felt like I had to set aside a chunk of change to get started. Even a silver dime per week is a slow and steady wins the race type of game plan with practically no measureable impact to finances. Anybody can skip a cup of coffee, or eat out one less time per month to help secure their financial future.

+1 Awesome post... totally agree!!

More words of wisdom! Every little bit helps.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Thank you both Numis Pam and SilverDragon for the kind words... well received and appreciated :)
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Not to mention, if 1 silver dime per week is enough for you, you can get that through CRH easily. I haven't bought silver in over 3 months, but I still add to my stack every week...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals