Guys...whats the story on Ampex?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Guys...whats the story on Ampex?

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 am

I know that seems like a stupid question, but ALL my stacking has been Ebay based, and for 5 years now, its worked out fine, Thank God.
Even getting rolls of ASE's....but just in the last couple weeks, rolls, quality rolls of 90's and 40's have sort of dissappered...or if they appear....its under a REALLY CRAZY "buy it now" ask.....I don't mind paying the basis, or premium over that farce of a board....but some of these "bins" are pricing Ag at $50 an ounce.

then I went to Ampex, started looking...not bad.

I know I posted about being on a hard and fast BUDGET....still am, but I don't know. i'm good with the Ag stack, but I wouldn't mind a roll of ASES.....and I saw that had "rolls" of 1/10 Au Eagles.

I also been reading from ya'll horror stories, where you pay up via CC, and they send you an email saying, "you now wait for 2 months"......so whats your read?.....who are the good online companies?...is Ampex one of them? gratefully, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Guys...whats the story on Ampex?

Postby barrytrot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:02 am

I don't recall reading any negatives here about Apmex. Which is what I assume you are asking about.

If it is actually "ampex" I haven't heard about them.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Robarons » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:06 am

Get the feeling he read some reviews on Northwest or one of those mints that takes your orders and makes you wait 3 months to get your stuff

Apmex isnt one of those companies- they have their stuff in stock unless noted and have normal shipping times
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:10 am

Robarons wrote:Get the feeling he read some reviews on Northwest or one of those mints that takes your orders and makes you wait 3 months to get your stuff

Apmex isnt one of those companies- they have their stuff in stock unless noted and have normal shipping times

gotcha, thanks....yeh, I forgot which company I read that.....thank you! n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:15 am

I realy like provident as well, but Ive used apmex a few times and they are very prompt as well. Ive seen nothing to suggest that either company would list an item as in stock when it is not. that might change at some point but if I had to bet Id say they are among the companies less likely to do so.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:31 am

APMEX only sells items that have in stock. I have never had any delays dealing with them.

NWTM is slow. They state the long ship times on their website. You are buying freshly minted sealed bars. I bought from them in Oct 2008 when silver dipped below $10/oz. Took 8 weeks to receive my order. Still shorter than the 12 weeks I expected.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:18 pm

slickeast wrote:
NWTM is slow. They state the long ship times on their website. You are buying freshly minted sealed bars. I bought from them in Oct 2008 when silver dipped below $10/oz. Took 8 weeks to receive my order. Still shorter than the 12 weeks I expected.

I think someones "signature" here says something like "When you place your order with NWTM, they give your order to a guy on a donkey and send him off to the Panama silver mine where he actually mines it.

Of course i'm paraphrasing, but it's quite funny, mostly because its true

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:28 am

I've always been happy with APMEX. They aren't the cheapest, and they don't have the lowest prices, but they've always met or exceeded their promises. The ability to order online at 0400 doesn't hurt either.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:32 am

APMEX - not the cheapest. But best inventory, quick shipping.
Provident Metals- one of the cheapest. Good service, fast shipping but sometimes selection just isn't there.
GoldenEagleCoins - pricing in between APMEX and Provident. Good service. Selection spotty.
MintProducts.com - Good selection. Some of the nicest people to talk to. Prices on the high side.

These are who I use. Putting my 2 cents in.

Keep stacking - I don't care who you use.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:16 am

apmex and monex told me they had my metal in stock and took more than 6 months to deliver.

only have had small orders with apmex at non-critical times and have had no issues.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 am

Engineer wrote:I've always been happy with APMEX. They aren't the cheapest, and they don't have the lowest prices, but they've always met or exceeded their promises. The ability to order online at 0400 doesn't hurt either.

beautiful.....that's all I need to hear.

That's one of the great features of this forum; ie, you can ask for, 'is 'abc' entity/person okay?.....viz, PM's....and you get answers, that you can pretty much bank on.

on the flip side, and I don't want to name names, due to what I read here, I wouldn't do business with them....just from what you guys have said.....right now I just got bids in ebay, trying to finesse a few rolls....and these bids are nowhere NEAR southbound, to where the "board" is....no way, the market isn't allowing that...I WISH I could get away with bidding 23-25 times...its not happening....you will NOT be getting high quality rolls of 90's SOUTH of 28 times...it wont happen....I been seeing the high mint Franklin years, 62-63, trade 29 times...lowest.

the rolls are THERE...BUT, there's not many, and I feel we now have 30-50% more bidders...just a gut feeling....maybe its more like a 20% in ardent bidders...in short, its harder, you pay more....when I get done, I'll show what I either bought..OR got ganked out of

i'm also not seeing very many 40%'s around...rolls that is.

it was Ray the other day, talked about banging out of USLV, and being able to sleep.......when I think the "stacks"?....or stackING.....man, I sleep good!!!...I just don't want to get into a credit hole, which makes you a "weak hand"..

one more thing, I just want to put into your guys minds.....since winters breaking, and its getting nice out....do this, WHEREVER you're at, draw a radius circle on the map, say a 4 and a half hour drive...that would be......roughly 250 miles....look for the least populated rural area, that has clean water, and hard woods. Look online, for a property with say 10-60 acres, depending on your budget/credit....take the drive, go look at it, think on it, pray on it, and then buy it. Unless you are a dyed in wool urban/suburban dweller (and that's alright too)....but you wont be sorry you did it. You can never go wrong with owning rural land, that's got good water and hard wood

its a good trade....you cant go wrong....and would to God, that property has a dwelling you can sleep in TOMMORROW...that's my prayer for everyone here, neil

ps....well, also another prayer too, that if you don't know the Name of Jesus, and know Him well, that you open your heart wide, and let the Wind of the Spirit blow in....don't be mad at me, i'm not talking about religion, just about Faith...in love....That is also Something you cant go wrong with.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 pm

I've been dealing with Apmex for years. Whether it was a small purchase or a 5 figure one they have always been first rate in my book - I've never had a problem. I know a number of people that have also been long time customers and only one has has a problem. I don't remember what kind of rounds he ordered, but he ordered 100 of them. When he got them he only had 99. He called Apmex about it and that day they sent a replacement plus another to make sure they kept a satisfied customer.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby angel2004 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 pm

I have never ordered from any online place. Just wondered, do they charge your cc before shipping? That's the one thing I like with the US mint, they charge the card when shipped. Thank you.
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals