Is this a sucker rally?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Is this a sucker rally?

Postby beauanderos » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Dead cat bounce? Sucker rally? The real thing? Oh, and wouldn't you know the week after I liquidated all my USLV this happens :roll:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Is this a sucker rally?

Postby slickeast » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:58 pm

I was just thinking the same thing. Are they picking us back up to be nice or just so they can punch us in the face?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby barrytrot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:00 pm

My cousin's AGQ is performing well :) As are the fake orders I made in other accounts this week.

I played it VERY tight though and most expire (if in the black) tomorrow as I think this is not a time to go all in on "fake". REAL? Sure. Fake, it's best to tread lightly :)
barrytrot

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Quite the rally for gold - up now >100 from the bottom.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:16 pm

I've been steadily buying 90% silver halves throughtout this dip, but cut my paper plays down to nothing. Cringing as I consider how much I could have recovered had I stayed in, but on the other hand I'm able to sleep again at night, something I wasn't able to do well when the market was moving dramatically against me. Now? I don't care. Que sera, sera. :wave:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Ray, I doubled down on my paper.

Barry, You like your cousins AGQ then you would love my USLV. :)

I think its a dead cat....but I did move my stop loss orders to a 2 point trail from a 1.5 point trail....seeing how I am now in the money. Get that two point trail above my buy in @ 11 and I will turn bullish. Till then a bear to 18.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Ray, I doubled down on my paper.

I think its a dead cat....but I did move my stop loss orders to a 2 point trail from a 1.5 point trail....seeing how I am now in the money. Get that two point trail above my buy in @ 11 and I will turn bullish. Till then a bear to 18.

Ummm..... is that English??!!! I know you guys are way smarter than me in stocks, but idk WTF you just said. But I would love to learn! :thumbup:

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:13 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:

Ummm..... is that English??!!! I know you guys are way smarter than me in stocks, but idk WTF you just said. But I would love to learn! :thumbup:

-The Great

Your a smart guy Clint. You just dont know the lingo :)

Here is what all this junk means:

I purchased a ETF (exchange traded fund aka pretty much a silver stock). Its ticker symbol is USLV. I have a order entered in to sell it. This order trails the highest price by 2 points ($2 dollars). So if the stock goes up to $15 per share.....my sell order would be at $13. If the stock then crested at $16.23.....my sell order would then be $14.23. So the stock would have to dip below $14.23 to trigger my order to sell. It limits loses of a backward trending stock. The "trailing" means that is follows the share price up. The "stop loss" means that it will stop me from lossing to much. I am now "in the money" which means that the stock is worth more than I paid. So if my trailing stop loss gets to be also in the money that means that I am ahead two dollars per share if I wish to sell. I can cancel or alter the trailing stop at anytime or just let it ride.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby barrytrot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:21 pm

I didn't like USLV because NO OPTIONS. If you guess wrong you lose. I just don't like that :)

And the option premiums were so high that day that he could buy back his options and still be money ahead of just buying.
barrytrot

Postby slickeast » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:01 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:

I

-The Great

Sometimes you have to take a leap and build your wings on the way down. Then there are those that leap with wings but never flap them. This leads to dishonesty. Dishonesty will stare honesty out of countenance any day in the week, if there is anything to be got by it.
slickeast

Postby scyther » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 pm

slickeast wrote:
CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:

I

-The Great

Sometimes you have to take a leap and build your wings on the way down. Then there are those that leap with wings but never flap them. This leads to dishonesty. Dishonesty will stare honesty out of countenance any day in the week, if there is anything to be got by it.

I think that's quite a bit less clear than Rodebaugh's original post!
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Over on another forum I kind of predicted we would go up a little, as in a buck or two just because silver had to follow gold up eventually, but it usually bounces back up some every time it takes any kind of a nose dive behavior. I've heard this is just our buying season, happens every year, and it came a little earlier this year. You hear allot of things, but it was still a good time to stock up for a couple of weeks. During the dip, buy some now and wait out the storm seemed to be the mantra, although some bears think sometime in the future we will hit 19 briefly before going back up again. As a paper trader I would have piled in back at 22 something and probably gotten out today but the strength in silver today, that was the correction from that extended fallback into the 22 region, but I don't allocate funds for paper trading. This might be just common sense or speculation. If the last correction was a take down then we should go back up more to where we were before maybe not right away, but in due time. Or, if silver's true price is 23-24 a little more/little less then here we are.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:02 pm

beauanderos wrote:I've been steadily buying 90% silver halves throughtout this dip, but cut my paper plays down to nothing. Cringing as I consider how much I could have recovered had I stayed in, but on the other hand I'm able to sleep again at night, something I wasn't able to do well when the market was moving dramatically against me. Now? I don't care. Que sera, sera. :wave:

forgive me if it seems as if i'm telling YOU what to do, but if you make a trade, and cant sleep...its the wrong trade.

and YOU KNOW what I think of paper vehicles of trade, ESPECIALLY these days.

That PUSH down?....was a concerted effort, by foolish curs, who had ample funds, supplied by the Fed itself, and guess what?....like every fools errand, it backfired on them, as witnessed by a GLOBAL panic to BUY PM's.......the whole thing, in my view, goes hand in hand, with this dreadful dreary BAD, made for TV "movie" we just saw in Boston.

think about it, what are the two things, that "leadership" is endeavoring SO HARD to wrest from the American body politic?

Hard currency and individual rights of firearm ownership, the question is WHY?

easily answerable.....tyranny, plain and simple.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:21 pm

beauanderos wrote:Dead cat bounce? Sucker rally? The real thing? Oh, and wouldn't you know the week after I liquidated all my USLV this happens :roll:

this is no suckers rally....yes yes, they might try and pull the same shite again, push it down to 18, but I did go "off" my budget to try and buy some really neat rolls of 90's...fine stuff, but you know what a nightmare time i'm having?

I got guys in this market now, with anywhere from 7 to 24 stars, (Ebay transactions) biding like wild men. These are guys, who probably realized. "hey, we're missing the party"....or "we got here too late, we better catch up....the dollar is screwed, so lets get our stack HIGH".

its a nightmare....if I had two times more resources, it wouldn't be a problem, coz I would just put a 50 times face blow away bid ($500 for a $10 face value roll, 7.23 toz of silver)....and just let the market sort it out....just yesterday, on Ebay, I saw a roll of ASES at 652 buy it now, and couldn't pull the trigger...coz I didn't have the funds.

sure, I have ample CREDIT, but do I wanna go into a HUGE hole?...I think not.

I don't care what anybody sez (and I mean ANYBODY) silver is trading 32 to 45, based on the product, and the fractionable....THEY can come in and give the frigging "party line", but all it is , is just palaber...garbage, bovine scat, passive/aggressive trolling....silver is trading 32 to 45. period, end of sentence.

sorry for the tenor of this post, i'm just so pissed off these days, watching all the crap and lies, watching gray drab dreary men trying to destroy my country...and its pissing me off...and to realize i'm just one guy, with no power to STOP IT, infuriates me even more. These curs are TRAITORS, spewing forth TREASON.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Wow this sucker is still rallying on the overnight market! I wish I knew where it was heading. :?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:34 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Wow this sucker is still rallying on the overnight market! I wish I knew where it was heading. :?

$52.....then up to the REAL "hunt high", which is $130 something....but at some point they'll try two things....1. a derivation of the "Cyprus" grab....and/or 2. a Boston "lock down"

the HAND has been tipped....you have been shown, you have been warned....these are things coming to a theater near you.

so you can one of two things.

A. bury your head in the sand, or underneath a pillow, pretend it isn't happening...or

B. craft work arounds....and please don't ask me what those are, because I don't know my a$$ from a burnt biscuit, i'm dum as a rock.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Wow this sucker is still rallying on the overnight market! I wish I knew where it was heading. :?

For a 10 AM smackdown?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Seems like this last takedown caused a real frenzy of buying physical,I think this rallys for real!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SteelCityCopper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 pm

I'd have to agree with Neil. This doesn't seem like a dead cat. Something's different this time.... an insatiable desire for physical which seems to be boosting investor confidence. The cat is not dead... he's out of the bag!
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Did I miss the dip of the decade? Is it really headed up for good now? I know this is a low season for PMs so I assumed it would stay low until August... :?

Oh well, at least I bought right before it tanked so I still bought pretty low.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Is regaining only part of the recent drop a rally? This recent drop imo has clearly shown there are different forces affecting physical versus paper, but imo it also showed the forces directing paper are either at times very counter intuitive or more likely purposeful. So in that context Id wager the long term trends are going to remain headed up but the short term ones are real hard to peg down.

Considering the clear demand for physical, if this DOESNT drive up prices as inventory is replenished Id be even more convinced of the strangeness or purposeful moves of prices. The dollar being the strongest horse in the glue factory parking lot isnt really an argument imo even if many investors believe it is. That will change once the glue factory opens its doors and shows the horses their new home.

So my answer is who cares. Buy all the way down or up as long as your other expenses are met... That is my take. I think the paper markets expect lower prices but physical markets dont seem likely to support such levels. If we go back down from here I expect we will see much deeper supply issues and higher premiums then we are seeing now.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:17 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
Your a smart guy Clint. You just dont know the lingo :)

Here is what all this junk means:

I purchased a ETF (exchange traded fund aka pretty much a silver stock). Its ticker symbol is USLV. I have a order entered in to sell it. This order trails the highest price by 2 points ($2 dollars). So if the stock goes up to $15 per share.....my sell order would be at $13. If the stock then crested at $16.23.....my sell order would then be $14.23. So the stock would have to dip below $14.23 to trigger my order to sell. It limits loses of a backward trending stock. The "trailing" means that is follows the share price up. The "stop loss" means that it will stop me from lossing to much. I am now "in the money" which means that the stock is worth more than I paid. So if my trailing stop loss gets to be also in the money that means that I am ahead two dollars per share if I wish to sell. I can cancel or alter the trailing stop at anytime or just let it ride.

Thank you Chris for the support. I guess I must need schooled in Stocks again. I thought I had a decent grasp on the whole concept, but i am not familiar or just unaware of the "trailing" of "stop lossing". I have long wanted to start buying some stocks, I keep track of many different stocks, but it seems I have MUCH to learn before I will be ready to play with the big kids. Thank you for taking the time for the explanation.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:45 am

Down .51

Lets see what the day brings
slickeast

Postby silverflake » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 am

I sold SLV this week into this strength. I bought some physical silver (and gold) and a position in Oxydental Petroleum. I feel better than I have in a while. I just don't trust the paper PM trade.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:35 am

June 7th - $28 silver

That is my prediction
slickeast

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals