Thanks-deleted

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Thanks-deleted

Postby whatsnext » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:27 pm

I forgot you can not delete treads with replys.
Last edited by whatsnext on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Clean 999 or not?

Postby Devil Soundwave » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:39 pm

In my personal opinion, there is no reason not to clean items which are held purely for their bullion value. Obviously you wouldn't want to go cleaning a coin with numismatic value greater than the metal value, but for bullion I say go for it. even more so with bars and such.

I pick up dirty Maria Theresa Thalers all the time and they each get a clean to make em shiny again as they are only worth the metal value and I like em shiny.

Controversial I know, but I find the cheapest, easiest way to clean tarnish off silver without damaging the surface to any great degree is to use house-hold cleaner called Cillt Bang (called Easy-Off Bam in the USA).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cillit_Bang

Just spray on, wipe with a damp cloth under hot running water, pad dry and done. In all but the most tarnished of coins I find the "cartwheel" effect remains intact post-clean.

Great for copper rounds too.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals