an alternate way to hedge against a drop in silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

an alternate way to hedge against a drop in silver

Postby rainsonme » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:44 am

I stumbled across this article while scanning stocks; HRT is a stock I owned in the past, but not presently; it is profitable, pays a small div, and is apparently inversely tied to the price of silver, due to the high % of silver content in their medical device products.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/239892- ... urce=yahoo

I am not pushing HRT, a risky micro-cap; it is just an example. I bet there are a lot of other businesses who's fortune is inversely tied to the price of silver, due to the high percent of silver they require. If you had a lot tied up in silver, but were worried about a potential correction/crash/dip in silver price, one way to hedge that silver holding might be to buy and hold a company whose fortune would rise if silver dropped. I have never had any luck with puts or inverse ETFs. Holding a profitable company's stock would seem to me a much "safer" way to hedge, if you wanted a hedge. If anyone else knows of other companies that would move inversely to the price of silver, I would be interested in knowing.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: an alternate way to hedge against a drop in silver

Postby stateofmind » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:01 am

Wrong idea.
Last edited by stateofmind on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Re: an alternate way to hedge against a drop in silver

Postby stateofmind » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:10 am

Hm...an idea popped in my head. I think it's similar to what you were getting at. If you could located companies which are less risky(higher market cap, more profitability, low volatility sectors) that could very well be a successful hedge against ownership of silver, while still earning profits derived from profitable business by that company. If you searched for companies in sectors Basic Materials, Tech, and Consumer Goods you could probably find a select few.
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals