Bad conduct

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bad conduct

Postby nero12345 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I had a friend over the other day, we were working on a new deck. During a break we were sitting in my " coin room" and he noticed a roll of maples I had just bought. Before I noticed what he was doing he had taken off the top and was going through them, very roughly. I tried not to freak out to much but then he started spinning it on the desk top saying how heavy it was. I asked him when he started collecting silver coins. His answer was I don't collect these things. I said " you do now that will be $23." He looked at me like I had ten heads. I said " that coins now scratched up pretty good, what the hell were you thinking" do non coin people really not know how to handle coins or what. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

P.S. he didn't buy the coin and also didn't really help with the deck much after that.lol. Don't really blame him I guess.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Re: Bad conduct

Postby marblerye » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:05 pm

He sounds like an awesome friend...
marblerye

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:20 pm

My fencing instructor brought in a mint state 1916 Walker for me to look at.

This 14 year old little f$cker butts into the conversation, picks it up and drops it, then rakes it across the (linoleum),table, obverse down.

I believe he turned a 1000 coin into a 85 dollar coin in about 4 seconds.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:21 pm

My "coin room" is the same as my "gun room"....friends, family, even the cats know better.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby nero12345 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Thogey wrote:My fencing instructor brought in a mint state 1916 Walker for me to look at.

This 14 year old little f$cker butts into the conversation, picks it up and drops it, then rakes it across the (linoleum),table, obverse down.

Brutel. What a tool.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:02 pm

It was certainly inconsiderate, but I can understand. Silver is silver, and they're bullion coins. I can see why he would think it would be okay to pick it up and feel it. I don't think non-coin collectors tend to understand how easily coins can get scratched and how much it matters.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:32 pm

I would be reticent about allowing anybody I don't completely trust to see any part of what I have.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 pm

That is why I keep everything locked up in a safe. Nothing to see and nothing to touch.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby barrytrot » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:36 pm

He didn't do $23 worth of damage and had you just said, "hey those are delicate" or something like that he would have stopped and not done it again.

You majorly over reacted. If you don't want people messing with things keep them out of "hands reach". Pretty simple.
barrytrot

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 pm

I showed a brother two 100 ozt bars to educate him on the subject. He grew up in the same house as me with our coin-collecting father. He starts "klinking" them together (read that as dropping one onto the other) to hear the neat sound. :o :shock: I kept as clam as I could and took them away from him. Never again. :evil:

Remember to educate your guests on proper coin etiquette before allowing them to see your stuff. Better yet, keep the stuff locked away.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:41 pm

Thogey wrote:My fencing instructor brought in a mint state 1916 Walker for me to look at.

:o :o :o
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Catfish4u » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:55 pm

barrytrot wrote:He didn't do $23 worth of damage and had you just said, "hey those are delicate" or something like that he would have stopped and not done it again.

You majorly over reacted. If you don't want people messing with things keep them out of "hands reach". Pretty simple.

AND he was building your deck for free?
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:00 am

I have a tube of "itchy/scratchy" ASE's and other Misc Rounds that I let people handle and get a "feel" for. People who aren't used to bullion just want to understand and feel what it is.... You just have to understand that if your friend/family member doesn't ask you if they can look at a coin... chances are they don't know the proper handling techniques

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:01 am

Catfish4u wrote:
barrytrot wrote:He didn't do $23 worth of damage and had you just said, "hey those are delicate" or something like that he would have stopped and not done it again.

Ha ha, right I forgot about that part!
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:21 am

nero12345 wrote:I had a friend over the other day, we were working on a new deck. During a break we were sitting in my " coin room" and he noticed a roll of maples I had just bought. Before I noticed what he was doing he had taken off the top and was going through them, very roughly. I tried not to freak out to much but then he started spinning it on the desk top saying how heavy it was. I asked him when he started collecting silver coins. His answer was I don't collect these things. I said " you do now that will be $23." He looked at me like I had ten heads. I said " that coins now scratched up pretty good, what the hell were you thinking" do non coin people really not know how to handle coins or what. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

P.S. he didn't buy the coin and also didn't really help with the deck much after that.lol. Don't really blame him I guess.

I had a friend... :shifty:

you could have told him... "that one's yours now, for your help on the deck."

Hey... new anti-theft device. Put your thumbprint :sick: on each coin, cops can identify it as yours if they're ever recovered! :shock: :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:19 am

Never happens here. It's all kept under the radar. Only family sees anything other then a pile pennies, or nickels. Close friends might be shown the Rydale working but are told it's for the penny hobby. Kids are instructed to keep the whole situation out of (outside the family) conversations. Even the stack is divided into three separate locations. Only one friend I trust implicitly knows of one of the stacks and can access in case something happens to me. Kids and wife know it's all DNT. Do Not Touch.

Call me paranoid but humans tend to be very clever, greedy, opportunistic, monkeys who like shiny things and social status. Never underestimate human behavior.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:53 am

Rule 1:
Nobody sees anything they don't need to see

Rule 2:
If they do have to see the coin area, I dazzle them with the "crazy penny guy" routine

Rule 3:
If they want to steal something, I always leave out some bait bags of copper...with some boxes of shotgun shells to let them know they may need to hurry.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby nero12345 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:59 am

barrytrot wrote:
Catfish4u wrote:

Ha ha, right I forgot about that part!

Nope he heard the saw going and came over. My question was has anyone ever had the experience before where someone had roughed up your coins, not whether my actions were just. Always glad to hear all your options though on other people's actions. :clap:
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:59 am

yeah, people just don't have any common sense when they're handling someone else's valuables... in my case I brought in several tubes of brand new frosty proof one ounce silver rounds from Golden State Mint and was letting people look. Of course, they're plastering fingerprints on the fields instead of handling by the edges, dropping coins, etc. I put a halt to that real quick, learned my lesson on that one.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby nero12345 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 am

beauanderos wrote:yeah, people just don't have any common sense when they're handling someone else's valuables... in my case I brought in several tubes of brand new frosty proof one ounce silver rounds from Golden State Mint and was letting people look. Of course, they're plastering fingerprints on the fields instead of handling by the edges, dropping coins, etc. I put a halt to that real quick, learned my lesson on that one.

Well I don't generally leave any coins out, they always go in the safe or other hiding spots but I was away on vacation and picked them up at a coin shop. When I got home I put them on my desk. The next day I got back to work on my deck and just flat out forgot about them.
I buy nickels from the bank and silver and gold form the public quite a bit and try to teach my kids that I can't control what happens to the metals before we get them but we do control them after we get them. Just a blunder I guess on his part, and mine too for leaving them out.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:52 pm

new web address for us: realpersnickety.com LOL

And if I ever buy any Koins, I will follow the good advice I got in this thread.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:50 pm

I let them play with the grams. They think they are "cute"

The rest is stashed away.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bluegill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:15 pm

he had taken off the top and was going through them, very roughly.

barrytrot wrote:

Not at all dude. Not at all.

How would you like it if someone grabbed something of yours in your private home with out asking permission first, and open it up and started man handling the contents. What this guy did was flat out rude and disrespectful. A person shouldn't have to keep their possessions out of hands reach in their own home. The guest should have manners.

Of course that was how I was raised, so I'm probably gonna be the odd man out on this one...
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Nope Bluegill... you are Right.. :thumbup: I was raised the same way... I agree with you totally. :angel:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Engineer wrote:<snip>

Rule 3:
If they want to steal something, I always leave out some bait bags of copper...with some boxes of shotgun shells to let them know they may need to hurry.

Once again, I've learned something good from you Engineer! I won't reinvent the wheel.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals