Lowballers

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Lowballers

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Why do people think you'd be willing to accept offers below what APMEX will pay? When I stand to make $4 on a four roll dime deal and someone comes along and offers $16 less... then wants free shipping to boot. :roll:

Grrrhhh. Guys like that take the fun out of this hobby for me. :thumbdown: I already post my rock bottom prices in my listings. I guess I need to start stating "Prices firm," like Market Harmony does.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Lowballers

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:23 pm

C'mon, Ray, you got all kinds a money, just this one time, can't you cut me a little deal?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby KCBob31.1 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:41 pm

How about only ten less? 8-)
KCBob31.1

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:53 pm

beauanderos wrote:. I guess I need to start stating "Prices firm," like Market Harmony does.

Market Harmony's "prices firm" is a result of Clint-the-Great-Cheapskate....... First time I ever dealt with him I offered a few dollars less than what he had as a price.... but he told me that "Great deals aren't negotiable"..... I can't really argue with that.... as I can't find better AU/AG deals ANYWHERE!!! Ever since then he has that in there, which I actually think is beneficial. SO now, I just pay whatever he is asking.... I was just reminded how GREAT we have it here.

I second the "prices firm" clause in your deals Ray! It makes it clear and you don't answer unwarranted emails. You can call it the "Clint-the-Great-Cheapskate-Clause"

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:03 am

beauanderos wrote: When I stand to make $4 on a four roll dime deal

So you can only give a $4 rebate? :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby christostock » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 am

Geez Ray,
You usually offer me less than my posted price :o :D :lol: :lol:
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:37 am

christostock wrote:Geez Ray,
You usually offer me less than my posted price :o :D :lol: :lol:

ahhhh, but the difference is that you invite offers on huge lots :shifty:
beauanderos

Postby stlouiscoin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:42 am

beauanderos wrote:When I stand to make $4 on a four roll dime deal

switch to dime bags and you can make a lot more than that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby nero12345 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:31 am

Not to mention the PayPal fees, eh.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bluegill » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm surprised a certain individual hasn't posted somethging along the lines of...
by xxxxxxxxxx » Sun xxx xx xxxx 12:57 pm
It sounds as if you are referring specifically to conversations in PM. I.e. PRIVATE conversations.

Seems curious that you think the appropriate response is to make them semi-public.

I would just stop making offers and/or dealing with the offending parties.

Bringing up private conversations here, even in part, is quite contrary to the point you are trying to make.

He's never shy any other time. :lol: :roll: :lol:
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Bluegill wrote:I'm surprised a certain individual hasn't posted somethging along the lines of...
It sounds as if you are referring specifically to conversations in PM. I.e. PRIVATE conversations.

Seems curious that you think the appropriate response is to make them semi-public.

Bringing up private conversations here, even in part, is quite contrary to the point you are trying to make.

Actually, my post was prompted by a guy over on BS... but it's happened here as well.
beauanderos

Postby coincrazy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Bluegill wrote:I'm surprised a certain individual hasn't posted somethging along the lines of...

This sounds very familiar.
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm more pissed at the sellers on eBay who have inflated prices on their silver, and have the "Best Offer" button ticked open. And then get insulted when I offer a "fair" offer accounting for melt and postage.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:12 pm

cesariojpn wrote:I'm more pissed at the sellers on eBay who have inflated prices on their silver, and have the "Best Offer" button ticked open. And then get insulted when I offer a "fair" offer accounting for melt and postage.

I wouldn't get that pissed off at ebay sellers.... the Buy it Now or Best Offer auctions aren't meant for RC'ers..... We already know that if it is a BIN or BO... the prices are already inflated. They are selling to the general public who doesn't have a GREAT community to buy/sell/trade with like RC. Plus ebayers have to pay 10-13% on the shipping and selling price... so you have to factor that into why they might not accept your offer

So if it was say 1oz of silver and they had it listed for $25... and you offered them a "fair" price of $22....if they accepted it, they would then have to pay ebay $2.20-2.50 if they sold it to you at $22 making what they ACTUALLY receive be $19.80-$19.50... and thats not counting shipping... WHereas here on RC, you offer $22, someone is receiving $22, not $19.50

-The Great
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Ray,

I once offered Adam .9 cents( that's 9/10th of a cent) shipped for copper cents. He turned my offer down.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Maybe I'm drawing too fine a line (because I have done and will continue to do the second of these things I'm about to present) but there are: 1) people that push this to the point of offensive (I hope I'm never that), and there are 2) people that will sometimes test the waters for items that they really aren't dying to buy at the offered price (even at a good price) but would be willing to take at a lesser price. Sometimes if an item hasn't sold quickly and for me it falls into the second group, I might make an offer at a price that works for me.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm

68Camaro wrote:Maybe I'm drawing too fine a line (because I have done and will continue to do the second of these things I'm about to present) but there are: 1) people that push this to the point of offensive (I hope I'm never that), and there are 2) people that will sometimes test the waters for items that they really aren't dying to buy at the offered price (even at a good price) but would be willing to take at a lesser price. Sometimes if an item hasn't sold quickly and for me it falls into the second group, I might make an offer at a price that works for me.

And I do that too... but I'll tell the seller right up front that they should wait for a better offer... because they would REALLY have to tempt me to get me to spend money, for instance, on gold when I'd rather be buying silver. There's two different classes of sellers as well. 1) people like Chris who go out and dig up deals (doing all of us a favor) at current pricing levels and then marking those lots up minimally to exact a quick turnover and small profit. That's his business model, and if you try to dicker (unless he's inviting offers on larger amounts) then you take all the incentive out of the deal for him. Chris should be called Walmartostock, because he's out there securing the absolute lowest rockbottom pricing he can find, and then passing along those bargains to other members.
2) Buyers who have bought and held for a long time, and who may have a sizable profit in the item they're wishing to sell. Those individuals might be more willing to accept offers that met them halfway. If they counteroffer, you know they fit in that second category. ;)
beauanderos

Postby smackvay » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:09 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:I'm more pissed at the sellers on eBay who have inflated prices on their silver, and have the "Best Offer" button ticked open. And then get insulted when I offer a "fair" offer accounting for melt and postage.

I wouldn't get that pissed off at ebay sellers.... the Buy it Now or Best Offer auctions aren't meant for RC'ers..... We already know that if it is a BIN or BO... the prices are already inflated. They are selling to the general public who doesn't have a GREAT community to buy/sell/trade with like RC. Plus ebayers have to pay 10-13% on the shipping and selling price... so you have to factor that into why they might not accept your offer

So if it was say 1oz of silver and they had it listed for $25... and you offered them a "fair" price of $22....if they accepted it, they would then have to pay ebay $2.20-2.50 if they sold it to you at $22 making what they ACTUALLY receive be $19.80-$19.50... and thats not counting shipping... WHereas here on RC, you offer $22, someone is receiving $22, not $19.50

-The Great

I just sold a $600 lot on ebay and after my powerseller discount I still had over 40 b ucks in fees and another 8 in shipping. After $250 ebay requires a signature confirmation to be protected in case something happens
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Zincanator » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:02 am

I get stacks of laughable offers when I post just about anything on Craigslist. But it's always worth it to filter through all that -- and end up with a cash-in-hand sale, and no absurd FeeBay or PayFoul commissions. I still can't believe FeeBay gets away with pulling commission on shipping charges.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 pm

slickeast wrote:Ray,

I once offered Adam .9 cents( that's 9/10th of a cent) shipped for copper cents. He turned my offer down.

I don't think that that is the lowest lowball you have ever done to me either! :roll:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:10 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:

-The Great

Well it's their fault for not anticipating such things and having stagnant stock.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:18 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:Well it's their fault for not anticipating such things and having stagnant stock.

I didn't konw ASE's were considered Stagnant.... :shock: :shock:

-The Great
- Abraham Lincoln

- Henry Ford

- Thomas A. Edison

-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:Well it's their fault for not anticipating such things and having stagnant stock.

They did anticipate it....that's why their prices are higher.... you just dont like the higher prices.. and they don't like your lowball prices

-The Great
- Abraham Lincoln

- Henry Ford

- Thomas A. Edison

-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:50 pm

I had some 'need to buy at or below spot' offers at the bottom of the market this summer. I'd like to thank them for not buying my silver at 15.5x.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Engineer wrote:I had some 'need to buy at or below spot' offers at the bottom of the market this summer. I'd like to thank them for not buying my silver at 15.5x.

a year ago "at or below spot" wouldn't have been a bad offer :shifty:
beauanderos

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals