Heh Heh... Wonder if This Guy Sorted?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Heh Heh... Wonder if This Guy Sorted?

Postby Zincanator » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:10 pm

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — From the moment parking meter mechanic James Bagarozzo began his scheme to steal from the machines, his life became overrun with quarters. He stashed them in his pockets, in a sack in his truck, in closets at his house.

Over more than eight years, he brought home $210,000 worth of quarters — 10,500 pounds of them — which he dutifully rolled and packed in $500 boxes to be exchanged for cash at banks on his lunch hour.

At the time of his arrest, investigators found $40,000 in cash in the ceiling of Bagarozzo's bedroom, $4,100 in a dresser and $3,000 worth of quarters in closets in bags and boxes around the house.

Full Story: http://news.yahoo.com/ny-meter-mechanic ... 07887.html
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Heh Heh... Wonder if This Guy Sorted?

Postby Treetop » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:51 pm

strange story in that it says he stole 210k, and another guy 15k over several years, possibly others involved but revenue increased by 500k annually after they got caught? sounds like they got WAY more then is thought.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Hummm, brings in boxes of quarters to his bank yet doesn't even pretend to be a sorter. Nothing suspicious about bringing in a $500 box a week for over 8 years, nothing at all. :roll:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 pm

In a way .. capitalism could care less. At least he was injecting much of it back into the economy, letting it churn, creating revenue through taxation and spending. Government gives and wastes way more money away than some guy pilfering parking meters.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:53 am

johnbrickner wrote:Hummm, brings in boxes of quarters to his bank yet doesn't even pretend to be a sorter. Nothing suspicious about bringing in a $500 box a week for over 8 years, nothing at all. :roll:

I thoink he could've afforded a coinstar dump or several.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 am

everything wrote:In a way .. capitalism could care less. At least he was injecting much of it back into the economy, letting it churn, creating revenue through taxation and spending. Government gives and wastes way more money away than some guy pilfering parking meters.

Valid observation. He put the money back onto Main Street whereas the city would have killed the circulation by sending it to be pilfered from a pension plan on Wall Street.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:07 am

He robbed a robber. Money that is allotted is never spent where it is supposed to. I'm not sure what parking meter money is supposed to pay for, but I would bet that it was never used for its original intent.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:51 am

slickeast wrote:He robbed a robber. Money that is allotted is never spent where it is supposed to. I'm not sure what parking meter money is supposed to pay for, but I would bet that it was never used for its original intent.

Parking meter money is supposed to pay for...MOAR parking meters!!! :lol:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:43 am

$3,000 in quarters is six $500 boxes. I know subwoofer enclosures that are bigger than that.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby InfleXion » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Just goes to show that common criminals aren't all that bright. I would never do that, but if I were in his shoes they would be firmly planted at the local barcade.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals