ICG Grading Company Reputation ??

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

ICG Grading Company Reputation ??

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 am

What is the reputation of the ICG grading company? I have a MS-70 ASE graded by them. If their grading "talents" are bogus, I'm going to rip the coin out of the capsule and toss it into the hoard as just another coin.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: ICG Grading Company Reputation ??

Postby Morsecode » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:43 am

In the case of ASE's, all of the grading services seem to slab more 70's than truthfully exist. See the link for a brief comparison.

http://coins.about.com/od/coingrading/q ... _tiers.htm
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:09 am

Thank you for that article, MC. It was really helpful for me to better understand the grading community.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby christostock » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 am

ICG =
I Can't Grade :lol:
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby db23 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:28 pm

All grading of bullion coins is just a big scam. Check out Youtube for videos of people that purchased MS-69s that were scratched to hell. Bulk grading is destroying any value that grading used to add. There's just no way the graders could possibly evaluate the volume they are doing. My guess is that the dump a roll on their desk and just start slabbing without looking at them. I'm sure ICG can do this just as well as the others.

I wouldn't rank ICG any higher or lower than the top two scamming companies NGC and PCGS.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:53 pm

db23 wrote:All grading of bullion coins is just a big scam. Check out Youtube for videos of people that purchased MS-69s that were scratched to hell. Bulk grading is destroying any value that grading used to add. There's just no way the graders could possibly evaluate the volume they are doing. My guess is that the dump a roll on their desk and just start slabbing without looking at them. I'm sure ICG can do this just as well as the others.

I wouldn't rank ICG any higher or lower than the top two scamming companies NGC and PCGS.

While I think your premise is possibly true, the fact that there are "videos on Youtube of X" doesn't prove "X is prevalent".

With 1,000,000's of certified coins naturally there are errors. In fact, I have seen coins that say the name of a different coin on the label, so of course the grade could be wrong occasionally as well.

The question is -> is the grade wrong 50% of the time? 10%? 1%?

I would wager it is closer to 1% than the other 2 numbers.

PCGS/NGC graders do "churn lots of graded coins" but they are also good at their job and know what to look for. So are there mis-graded examples? Of course. But if you have an NGC/PCGS certified coin that means 2 things:

1. The grade is guaranteed, so the scratched examples can be traded for "good" examples very easily.

2. The grade is generally very close.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby alpacafarmer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:54 am

ICG is one of the top 4 and they do one thing that the others don't do and that is blind submissions. That means they do not know who they are grading the coins for and they have to grade the coin and not who submitted it. The guys that submit 1000's of coins a year to PCGS and NGC seam to get much more favorable results than the hobby guy that sends in 3 or 4. Leave it in the slab.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby 300Braveheart » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 am

My LCS does periodic coin auctions and their ICG-graded silver eagles always go for PCGS prices... Of course, most everything is sold for too much at those auctions, I have got a couple micro-deals on foreign silver though, everyone in my area seems to care only about Morgans and Peace dollars.
300Braveheart

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:56 pm

ICG. Never liked them, really. I still subscribe to the theory of buying the coin and not the holder. But...given a choice of the exact coin in an ICG, vs. PCGS/NGC, it's a very easy choice.

Don't know how accurate it is, but I've developed my own pecking order of grading services. After the obvious 2 at the top comes ANACS and ICG. Everything else is low tier and very questionable in their motives. I remember attending a major coin show where many of the grading services were present. Among those were Accugrade. I stood nearby in disbelief as the Accugrade rep asked the customer what grade they wanted on the silver dollars and Walkers they were submitting. No challenge from Accugrade on any of the coins and they were slabbed on the spot according to the customer's wishes.

Let the buyer beware is really an understatement.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals