Silver quarter in Boy Scout Dues

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver quarter in Boy Scout Dues

Postby knibloe » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:10 am

Two weeks ago, I became the scout master for my sons troop. They boys pay dues of $.75 per week. Last week when I was counting the money, I found a canadian quarter from the 50's. I asked the boys who put the canadian qtr in, one of them sheepishly said he had. I explained what it was and gave it back to him.

My sons usuallly pay in halves or Ikes. The treasurer likes it. she swaps them out and keeps them. We shoudl stage it so she can collect the whole series. :P
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Re: Silver quarter in Boy Scout Dues

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:53 pm

knibloe wrote:I asked the boys who put the canadian qtr in, one of them sheepishly said he had. I explained what it was and gave it back to him.

Wish I knew what the value of metals were when I was a kid. I'd probably had never bought all those LPs and cassettes and b e e r and instead did largescale coin roll searching. But noooooooooooo!!! :cry:
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:05 am

Cool. I found a silver Washington in my brother's change about a month ago. Gave him $3 for it. It's weird that silver quarters seem to turn up a lot more in change than in roll searching, judging from that and a few other anecdotal reports I've heard here.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 am

My son is also in scouts. I help where and when I can, mostly at summer camp. I would greatly suggest promoting the coin collecting merit badge especially teaching:

8.Do the following:
a.Identify the people depicted on the following denominations of current U.S. paper money: $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100.
b.Explain "legal tender."
c.Describe the role the Federal Reserve System plays in the distribution of currency.

You can take 8 c where ever you want and explain fiat (created out of nothing,) the devaluation of our currency over time, Tyrannosaurus debt, etc. great opportunity here. Oh, and good luck. I wouldn't spend a day in your shoes as I am amazed how Scout Masters do it for years.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:47 am

johnbrickner wrote:Identify the people depicted on the following denominations of current U.S. paper money: $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100.

When I read that I did that in my head and found I could rattle off the answers for U.S.
currency faster than for Canadian currency. :-o

Yeah, the CDN $50 and $100...that dude...and that other dude...I know what they look
like but can't put a name to it without looking them up...

Another one of those moments when I think I was born in the wrong country. ;)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:19 am

fansubs_ca wrote:
johnbrickner wrote:Identify the people depicted on the following denominations of current U.S. paper money: $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100.

When I read that I did that in my head and found I could rattle off the answers for U.S.
currency faster than for Canadian currency. :-o

Yeah, the CDN $50 and $100...that dude...and that other dude...I know what they look
like but can't put a name to it without looking them up...

Another one of those moments when I think I was born in the wrong country. ;)

Design Elements on the $50 Note
Portrait of Prime Minister
William Lyon Mackenzie King
The portrait of Mackenzie King is based
on a photograph from Library and Archives
Canada. The metallic portrait in the large
window was colourized for adaptation as a
holographic feature.

Design Elements on the $100 Note
Portrait of Prime Minister
Sir Robert L. Borden
The portrait of Sir Robert L. Borden is
based on a photograph from Library and
Archives Canada. The metallic portrait
in the large window was colourized for
adaptation as a holographic feature.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:04 am

johnbrickner wrote: Oh, and good luck. I wouldn't spend a day in your shoes as I am amazed how Scout Masters do it for years.

I'm going to need all the luck and prayers I can get. I didn't want to do this, but it was me or the other guy who I knew wouldn't do a good job (mainly because he wasn't doing much as assistant SM).

I asked the boys how they thought the meetings were going lately. They gave me a 7 out of 10. I feel that is great because they had been rating them as a 4. Next step is to get them more involved in the planning.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals