Just Another Excuse

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Just Another Excuse

Postby beauanderos » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 am

Government shutdown? Well of course.... gold and silver should sell off. Makes perfect sense to me :roll: Just another excuse to hammer the price under a putative premise that some can explain as the reason PM's fell.

Image Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Just Another Excuse

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:34 am

THERE IS NO SILVER PRICE MANIPULATION.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 am

Silver, I hate you.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby beauanderos » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:08 am

slickeast wrote:Silver, I hate you.

"ahhhh... the response that we seek," cackled the proprietary metals desk traders at JPMorgan.
beauanderos

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:42 am

I don't understand it. Stocks up, dollar and metals down. Any economic gurus out there to explain this one?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:10 am

Well at least the G2SR is going back up.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 am

It is disheartening to the weak hands. And it makes even the strong hands do a gut check - me included. But the reasons I buy and hold PMs are stronger now than they were 3 years ago. That the market can be manipulated matters only if I have to sell for FRNs so I have to ensure that I have that FRN supply continuing to come in for the near future. In the meantime, PMs remain on sale in the artificial market they have created, so I continue to buy physical at my Max safe rate.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:03 am

Another way of looking at it is those of us who go long physical are also shorting cash. This can be problematic if one becomes irrationally exuberant and goes a little too far (who, me? :oops:) occasionally on overbuying the latest dip... and finds themselves literally "short cash." You don't want to find yourself having to sell into dips to raise money for bills... so make sure you don't deplete ALL your emergency money when "opportunities" arise. :? :shock:
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Yep, that's another way to state the same thing but in a way that makes a direct connection with a specific audience!

Don't short FRNs unless you can cover the margin calls! :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:29 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I don't understand it. Stocks up, dollar and metals down. Any economic gurus out there to explain this one?

Well, let's say each one of the above represents a group of people: The international industrial/military complex; the government; and the people respectively. How's that for a guru answer? :lol:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:12 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I don't understand it. Stocks up, dollar and metals down. Any economic gurus out there to explain this one?

Due to the shutdown the CFTC is not regulating anything except for stocks.

I haven't had a gut check since 2011. After that everything seems like small moves. The next time I have one will probably either be if/when the Fed stops QE and raises interest rates, or when the USD defaults. The only thing the paper price means to me is what I can buy for. I will start caring more about it if the exchanges do away with both margin and fractional backing.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm on a monthly budget so I try to avoid buying PMs with my lunch money. I no longer look to the COMEX price of silver/gold to justify or refute my investment decisions. Price is only relevant is insofar as it impacts premiums and availability of what I'm looking to buy. The only numbers I'm truly interested in are 17 trillion and 85 billion and you guys know why. If you are waiting for silver to rise to $80 to $100 per ounce while the current system is still in place, you may be disappointed. I'm increasingly convinced that only a COMEX default will allow PMs to rise to their true level. Of course when that happens a currency collapse can't be far behind.

In this great game of musical chairs there are two types of people. Those worried about what song is being played and those worried about where they are when the music stops.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:09 pm

beauanderos wrote:Another way of looking at it is those of us who go long physical are also shorting cash. This can be problematic if one becomes irrationally exuberant and goes a little too far (who, me? :oops:) occasionally on overbuying the latest dip... and finds themselves literally "short cash." You don't want to find yourself having to sell into dips to raise money for bills... so make sure you don't deplete ALL your emergency money when "opportunities" arise. :? :shock:

Words of wisdom!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:02 am

slickeast wrote:Silver, I hate you.

Silver, I love you

We have a love hate relationship
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby silver » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:15 am

I love you also. :P
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:06 am

silver wrote:I love you also. :P

Great! Now you guys can adopt a child in Massachusetts :mrgreen: :clap: :thumbup: :lol: :roll:
beauanderos

Postby NHsorter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:31 am

Hey, I thought Cali. beat us to the punch on that one. Who are you fooling, Ray?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals