Scotch Tape Sticky

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Scotch Tape Sticky

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:27 pm

How do you remove scotch tape sticky residue without "cleaning" the coins?
::
This is not the way to collect coins:
A binder titled: World Coins - Type Sets
Yes, the coins are stuck on the paper with scotch tape and have been there for more than 40 years.
There is this very nice 1959 Bermuda Crown in a proper holder, taped to the paper.
Besides removing the tape stickum the best way & sorting out all the silver coins, are there any other ideas? These 1950s - 60s coins are from Great Britain, Canada, France, Scandinavia, Italy, Spain, and Germany. Total of 70 coins, all denominations, Ni, Ag, Cu, brass/bronze, and even Al.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Scotch Tape Sticky

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Try rubbing the coins with vegetable oil. I have heard that it breaks down that sort of residue.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dirty fingers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:57 pm

High proof alcohol will easily remove all the glue, and not harm the coins at all. I am sure there are other types of solvents that would do the same (such as naptha).
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lime, ...and a shot of tequila.
dirty fingers
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JobIII » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:42 pm

I've use ethanol acetone (but 70% isopropyl and up are good substitutes) on coins that aren't really numismatic examples.

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Do not Rub ,Blot gently

wait for other solvent suggestions, look for old thread, If you do not send for grade it will not matter unless you sell an then you should reveal that Scotch tape has been removed or say lightly cleaned
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Acetone, alcohol, and paint thinner (mineral spirits) are good choices. Experiment on the low value coins to see which solvent is most effective before going to the higher value items.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:51 pm

On cleaning, not being a numi guy I have trouble getting excited about minor washing (regardless of the solvent, whether detergent water or acetone). Someone that is in the know is going to have to show me the detectable difference in a coin between before and after.

Let's start with a baseline of a newly minted ASE (or equivalent). If I dip it in soapy water and blot it dry, can anyone tell the difference, even under a microscope? If so, show me the pics. If this one isn't detectable then what's the excitement about?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:29 am

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll try a few coins today and see what happens.

I looked up the 1959 Bermuda Crown, its the 350th anniversary of the founding of Bermuda, and today is worth $40 to $45, if a buyer can be found who wants it, of course.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 300Braveheart » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:47 am

If a coin is soaked in acetone and then allowed to air dry, is that still considered "cleaned" for the purposes of reselling it?
300Braveheart

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:53 pm

There were 10 silver coins in the book that I will let go:
I did not clean them, they aren't bad at all. I put them up for trade in the RealCent Market area, for USA 90%, 12 quarters and two dimes.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:09 pm

300Braveheart wrote:If a coin is soaked in acetone and then allowed to air dry, is that still considered "cleaned" for the purposes of reselling it?

What most people consider "cleaned" should really be called polishing or etching. Acetone won't affect the surface of the coin, so it wouldn't be considered "cleaned".
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals