As much as I hate auctions/buyers fees

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

As much as I hate auctions/buyers fees

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:37 am

Guess I'll go for the day and see what happens. My guess, everything will go 20-30% over.. like it always does.

http://www.dakil.com/ai1ec_event/oklaho ... ance_id=58
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: As much as I hate auctions/buyers fees

Postby LooseChange » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:08 am

Now that's an Auction!!

I'd go, at least with some money, worse case you come home with it.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Heck, it would take at least a week to inventory the value of each coin in each auction just so you could make an educated bid.

Ironically the one auction that contained baseball cards was nothing but late 1980's junk commons--but then again its always like that.....
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:40 pm

That stuff was probably left in SDBs
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:22 am

Multiply that auction inventory by how many jurisdictions in the US? That much junk silver that might sit in safety deposit boxes that might end up again in coin rolls in the years to come.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby currencydebasement » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Every time I see the results of these types of state unclaimed property auctions I feel like I am viewing a small scale, time-elapsed example of the herding + ignorance + greed bubble scenario play out. To be fair I can't make this claim for every last lot because I don't have the time to examine them all, but generally I avoid them and feel I can just hop onto Ebay, or this site, and get similar stuff for 2/3 or even half the price. I get annoyed because I too fall victim to the herd and greed and want to find treasure. Oh well.
Full time coin hoarder, part time attorney* (licensed to practice in CA and DC)
http://www.currencydebasement.com
currencydebasement

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:43 am

Omg... 3-10 times retail... This is crazy.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:04 pm

currencydebasement wrote:Every time I see the results of these types of state unclaimed property auctions I feel like I am viewing a small scale, time-elapsed example of the herding + ignorance + greed bubble scenario play out.

In 2011 I attended a small general merchandise auction in Medford, Oregon because they advertised silver coins for sale. Arriving at the auction they had just two common date silver dollars in xf condition inside a glass case with some jewelry. The silver dollars were the very common dates--a '21 Morgan & '22 Peace. The Morgan sold for $78 and the Peace for $73. I laughed to myself as I left the auction and then proceeded to my local coin shop and purchased two xf '22 peace dollars for $28 each :thumbup:

Moral of story: when it comes to silver coins, especially pre-35 silver dollars, there are a lot of ignorant people out there in the general public who think these common date, average circulated dollars are very rare and worth a lot of money.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Just saw 150 class rings go for 19500
Yes 19500...
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Wow
A 1 oz gold eagle just went for 3000... crazy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:24 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:Omg... 3-10 times retail... This is crazy.

Yup that's why I have pretty much quit going to coin auctions unless I want a few good laughs. I can buy better quality coins much cheaper at my LCS or here on Realcent. I too have seen $30.00 Morgans sell for $90.00 many times.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby messymessy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:11 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:Omg... 3-10 times retail... This is crazy.

We should all send our excess coins to Frugi for a consignment auction. Heck, we should buy up lots of coins and silver at our LCS and send it to Frugi.

Auction prices have been crazy for a while. I figured they would have calmed down by now.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals