What to pay for morgan dollars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What to pay for morgan dollars

Postby Cold-Silver » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:19 am

So I was shopping in town for some presents this Christmas and went to a antique dealer I have never been been to, and found not only a awesome collections of guns, fossils and gems, but a decent amount of Morgan dollars. so I don't have a lot of experience with Morgan dollars, because usually dealers want more money than I am willing to pay for them since I am more for the silver content. So I ask what he is wanting for his ungraded Morgans, he says $25 a piece, which really surprised me since It looks like most everything in the case is pre 21' little to no toning and XF to AU maybe even a few in MS condition. I doubt they are fake (I will check thoroughly ) he has been in business a long time, but it bothers me how good the coins look for the price, mostly the almost total lack of toning or grim on the coins.

So I guess I want to know if this sounds like a good deal for the price, and a good way to get my feet wet with Morgan dollars. If it turns out the coins have been dipped or even cleaned but are still in XF-AU condition is this still a good deal for common date Morgans? would this be a buy for you?

I am confident this is a good deal, I am just used to dealers asking for $35 for Morgans with holes and $100 for a "Mint State" 21' Morgan when I can see gouge marks from 3 feet away :(
Cold-Silver

Re: What to pay for morgan dollars

Postby gubni » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:23 am

Yes its a good deal even if dipped. I sell average circulated Morgans with noticeable wear for $25-$30
"Every man I meet is in some way my superior."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Cold-Silver wrote: maybe even a few in MS condition.

No antique dealer with any experience at all would be willing to sell mint state pre-21 Morgans for $25. Either this dealer is new to the business or has little to no experience in numismatics & coin grading standards. If neither of these apply then something else might be going on here--I would proceed with caution.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scrapman1077 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:19 pm

look for the "made in china"
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby moboman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:49 am

I picked up some pre 21 morgans in decent shape for $25 each about 2 weeks ago. I do not mind if they are dipped or not, as long as they are not harshly cleaned.

With silver down, there are some decent silver dollars available for less than $30.
Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. - Jerry Garcia
moboman
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals