"short-term capital gain" vs "collectible gain" question...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"short-term capital gain" vs "collectible gain" question...

Postby pennypicker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:51 pm

I was considering doing some spot silver trading on the Forex (XAG/USD) and I was trying to determine what my federal tax rate would be. At the Northwest Territorial MInt website I came across the below question & answer which still doesn't clear this up for me. If I was to do day trading on the Forex would all my transactions be considered "short-term capital gains" as opposed to "collectible gains" or "long-term capital gains"? And if this is the case would I simply add my year's total Forex profits (thinking positive) to my regular employment income for tax purposes? And if the day trading of silver bullion is indeed considered "short-term capital gains" what is the current federal tax rate on "short-term capital gains? I hope it is less than the 28% "collectibles rate" mentioned below. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Don.

(Northwest Territorial Mint):
What tax rate applies if I have a taxable gain from the sale of my precious metals?

Gain from the sale of precious metals that are held for 1 year or less is a short-term capital gain and is taxed at your ordinary income tax rate. If you’ve held your metals for over 1 year, you instead have a collectibles gain, a form of long-term capital gain. Collectibles gain is taxed at a maximum rate of 28% in 2012.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: "short-term capital gain" vs "collectible gain" question

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:50 pm

If you do a ctrl +f and search for collectibles.. you will see a nice little chart explaining everything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_ga ... ted_States
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals