Ordering coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ordering coins

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:26 am

Often we discuss how the banks are so put out by our coin sorting hobbies. Some of us have even been kicked out of financial institutions! :o

So I just had a thought... How do banks get their coins in the first place?

Why can't we do that???? Why can't we go around the banks and get our own coins?

If anyone knows how to order coins from the mint/ federal reserve/ Brinks/ etc. Please share with us on how to do it.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Ordering coins

Postby Kurr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:31 am

The federal reserve no longer deals with private citizens, Financial Institutions only.

Brinks will laugh/hang up on you.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rainsonme » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Well, one of the first "hang-ups" you'd have to get over is paying for the service. Banks pay armored service companies for evey roll and every bag they receive. I don't know what the rate is, but it isn't just face value. Then, as mentioned in the first response, you'd have to be talking about huge amounts on a regular basis, not a box or two a week. And I suspect you'd have to have a secured business location that an armored service company would be wiling to send their people to. And I think dealing formally with such large amounts of cash, you would need to file some RICO paper work. If you have a personal friend who is in a business (grocery store, pharmacy, or some such) you might be able to piggy back off their order, or buy from that store. But it would be easier, I think, to use a bank.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverFossil64 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Going around the banks would cost more than finding a different bank who would do it for you free or cheap. Even banks who may be unfriendly about it would likely be cheaper way to obtain coins. Often by storing a large balance in their accounts or having investment accounts with them, they become more willing to "help" and this would be cheaper when compared to the alternatives of basically making a business out of ordering coin. The key difference between a bank and someone who just wants coin is that all the overhead associated with coins is diluted among all their other operations, which is something you do not have if you just do coin.
SilverFossil64

Postby 999Ni » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:09 pm

rainsonme wrote: If you have a personal friend who is in a business (grocery store, pharmacy, or some such) you might be able to piggy back off their order, or buy from that store.

Right there, you nailed it! I work at a grocery store and always get the customer service girl to order me boxes. Don't hafta deal with the banks! :mrgreen:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals