What is the best form of silver to flip?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What is the best form of silver to flip?

Postby 50centsaver » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:57 am

I have read the logic of: many people ascribe to buying silver now, to wait until the gold/silver ratio decreases, to say 1 to 12, or better, to then sell their silver to buy gold. What is the best form of silver (if any) to purchase now for this purpose? Or doesn't is it matter. I'm guessing it is not junk silver? Maybe American Eagle ounces?
Last edited by 50centsaver on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
50centsaver
Penny Sorter Member

Re: What is the best form of silver to flip?

Postby scyther » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:35 am

I don't think it matters what kind you buy, as long as it's for the right price. Make sure to pay under spot for 40%, and well under spot (at least 10-20) for war nickels.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:03 am

Who do you plan to sell to? Here? A national dealer? Locally?

The answer to that question will help to determine your exit strategy. How long you plan to hold also makes a difference.
Eagles are easy to sell nearly any place and time, so they have a lot going for them.

90% is good too, but it's hard to get a good price selling to local shops.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:33 am

You can use craigslist to buy any silver for 90% of spot. The profit is made when you buy, not so much when you sell. I've recently been running my CL ad at 80% of spot, as a test. Very few inquires compared to offering 90%.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 am

Having lived in both Medford and Eugene Oregon over the past three years I asked the owners of the four local coin shops which form of silver was most in demand by customers. All four owners gave me the same answer and that was their biggest seller (by far) is 1 oz generic silver rounds.

I also regularly sell bullion silver on Craigslist during silver peaks and I've similarly found that 1 oz generic rounds at .50 cents over spot receive more calls than 90% or bar form. ASE's come in a strong second if priced a $2 above spot and no higher.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:11 pm

pennypicker wrote:Having lived in both Medford and Eugene Oregon over the past three years I asked the owners of the four local coin shops which form of silver was most in demand by customers. All four owners gave me the same answer and that was their biggest seller (by far) is 1 oz generic silver rounds.

I also regularly sell bullion silver on Craigslist during silver peaks and I've similarly found that 1 oz generic rounds at .50 cents over spot receive more calls than 90% or bar form. ASE's come in a strong second if priced a $2 above spot and no higher.

That's kind of surprising to me. I would have thought AEs or some form of 90%. Maybe I'll have to look more closely at generic rounds when I'm looking to buy. Good information to have.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:41 pm

wouldn't coins be easiest to flip? I would think a 100oz engelhard is just to heavy to flip
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Unusual to hear generic ounces do so well. Guess I could understand. My thoughts always were number of ounces acquired at cheapest entry point. 90% U.S. coins have always had a strong demand in my area. Most of the shops in my area buy based on weight unless there is numismatic value.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:26 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Unusual to hear generic ounces do so well. Guess I could understand. My thoughts always were number of ounces acquired at cheapest entry point. 90% U.S. coins have always had a strong demand in my area. Most of the shops in my area buy based on weight unless there is numismatic value.

Out in my neck of the woods, western Oregon, there are a lot of "flippers" who simply come into the coin shops and buy 1 oz generic rounds on the dips and then bring them back and sell them for a profit on the peaks. Coin shops out here have roughly a $2 buy/sell spread on 1 oz generic silver rounds so this makes them very popular with flippers. The smallest buy/sell spread is $1.75 on the 100 oz bar but this of course requires a bigger chunk of cash than most flippers involve themselves with. The $2 spread is small when you take into consideration Oregon has no sales tax and because there is no sales tax this opens the door for many flippers, myself included, to make small amounts of profit on a regular basis provided there is continued price volatility.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:35 pm

TXBullion wrote:wouldn't coins be easiest to flip? I would think a 100oz engelhard is just to heavy to flip

Unless your name is Adam Youngs, yeah, that would probably be impossible...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:18 pm

I think the 90% silver quarters are best for flipping. Easier than a dime for telling heads vs. tails when it lands.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals