buying proofs from www.usmint.gov

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

buying proofs from www.usmint.gov

Postby MetalNoob » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:38 pm

I see I could purchase a 2014 Silver Eagle Proof in a display box with CoA from http://www.usmint.gov/ for $52.95 ea plus $4.95 shipping per order. I would like to purchase at least one proof every year for the foreseeable future. Any thoughts or comments about both purchasing from the US Mint and buying proofs in general.
Thanks for your input!
MetalNoob

Re: buying proofs from www.usmint.gov

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Buying a small quantity from the mint each year isn't really a budget-buster, I guess. Personally, for the same money, you could buy 2 regular 2014 silver eagles. Double the silver for the same price. My Daddy didn't raise "no stoopid kidz" as I've always liked twice as much of a good thing.

In a crunch economy, your proof will likely be worth only its silver content. The plush box, COA and general fluff will become quickly meaningless.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver Runner » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:26 am

There is NO issue in buying your proof directly from the mint. You will be getting it cheaper than if you wait and buy it from Apmex or another large retailer. I just don't buy into Know Common Cents logic. If you want a corvette, buy a corvette. Who cares if you can by 2 camaro(s) for the same price, you want a corvette. Guess which one I drive :D

Just a note. If you are a bullion investor a proof ASE is not a good investment. They are meant for collectors. If your only intent is to stack, buy the cheapest silver over spot, generally .999 generic rounds.
Silver Runner
Penny Pincher Member

Postby MetalNoob » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks for the input. I would say for the most part I will be stacking however diversification is always a good thing and the proof has the potential of gaining collectible value. I will likely only purchase one per year and someday maybe a collection can be passed on to my kids or grand kids. Is it possible that in my lifetime coins may be replaced by?
MetalNoob

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:06 pm

I own a few proof coins from the mint. I got them b/c I like them. Having said that, I've bought a bunch of proof (us mint) silver (most all of it decent to really brilliant) since I've joined RC and BS for spot or just very slightly over. And I won't/don't plan on paying more. So depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay for it. I get a thrill from the ones I buy at the mint. I get a thrill buying proofs at spot but, it's a different thrill than the mint coins. Recently I read where modern commemoratives were getting cheap and premium discounted significantly. This tells me to continue to offer no more than spot for them as I have been.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby MetalNoob » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:52 pm

a cpl questions: where how do you buy proofs at spot price? or for that matter anything at spot price?

I did do some homework on proofs however I'm confused about some of the other available options like PCGS Certified Silver Eagles, Perfect MS70 & PF70 Silver Eagles. They cost less than proofs but more than uncirculated silver eagles. I realize this is not stacking but again I like the idea of maybe buying a special coin a year or a silver eagle proof for every year here forward, maybe collector value will rise but if not it's still extremely pleasing to the eye :D
MetalNoob

Postby MetalNoob » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:52 pm

a cpl questions: where how do you buy proofs at spot price? or for that matter anything at spot price?

I did do some homework on proofs however I'm confused about some of the other available options like PCGS Certified Silver Eagles, Perfect MS70 & PF70 Silver Eagles. They cost less than proofs but more than uncirculated silver eagles. I realize this is not stacking but again I like the idea of maybe buying a special coin a year or a silver eagle proof for every year here forward, maybe collector value will rise but if not it's still extremely pleasing to the eye :D
MetalNoob

Postby silverstacker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:57 pm

From time to time I buy proofs along with other items from the Mint. I dont make it a habbit as prices could be steep on certain items.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals