Score - shortly a Double Score

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Score - shortly a Double Score

Postby commoncents » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:21 am

Before Christmas I gave the tellers at a source bank a 1 pound jar of honey (I'm a hobby beekeeper). Now they know me as 'the coin collector beekeeper'. Two weeks ago one of the tellers asked me if I was interested in a box of silver coins from an Uncle's estate.

Last week I bought about $150 face value of halves, quarters, and dimes - paying exactly spot price of silver. I told the teller of www.coinflation.com and she used the calculator on that site to compute the price.

My willingness to pay full price is about to be rewarded. She discovered a second box of silver coins - probably a bit more than the first batch. She's offered to sell it to me and in a few days I'll buy that one.

Sometimes it really pays off to treat people well.
Don't make me hungry - you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry !
commoncents
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Score - shortly a Double Score

Postby RxForPain » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:01 am

What goes around comes around and being able to sleep at night with a clear head knowing you did the right thing is all worth it.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby misteroman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 am

While I agree it is great to take care of people, be careful of taking care of them too much. you can ALWAYS buy silver on here for under spot. Now I'm not saying to offer her pennies on the dollar but I think she would be just as happy if you gave her 90% of spot.
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:06 am

misteroman wrote:While I agree it is great to take care of people, be careful of taking care of them too much. you can ALWAYS buy silver on here for under spot. Now I'm not saying to offer her pennies on the dollar but I think she would be just as happy if you gave her 90% of spot.

Yea for junk silver I wouldnt be paying out any premium on spot unless it was something nice. .999 maybe a small premium.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:20 am

I agree with you guys if you're going to pay spot you might as well just go to your dealer. But the big question is what numismatic value do these coins have? If there are a few better dates in the bunch they can be worth many times spot. So I guess knowing that these came from someone's collection I would have jumped at the chance to buy them too.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby commoncents » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 pm

I was unaware that I could buy 90% US coins for less than spot. The local coin stores generally charge a premium over spot.

I had hoped to find a few significantly rare pieces. There are only 3 or 4 that might be rare. I'm going to take them to a local coin store to get an opinion of their grade, but not to sell.

The bank teller was quite intelligent about finding out the value of the silver in the coins. I probably would not get the follow-on deal if I had underpaid for the first batch.
Don't make me hungry - you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry !
commoncents
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:54 pm

commoncents wrote:I was unaware that I could buy 90% US coins for less than spot. The local coin stores generally charge a premium over spot.

I had hoped to find a few significantly rare pieces. There are only 3 or 4 that might be rare. I'm going to take them to a local coin store to get an opinion of their grade, but not to sell.

The bank teller was quite intelligent about finding out the value of the silver in the coins. I probably would not get the follow-on deal if I had underpaid for the first batch.

Hummm, so your saying she could have found somewhere else that would easily take it for spot? Most everyone online is selling under spot right now and buying for quite a bit under for the big boys at least so....Hopefully you have scored a few nice numismatic pieces otherwise I do belive you actually did her a big favor :) Let us know what coins you managed to score, you have me interested now :D
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 am

I would be very happy to sell you 40% silver at spot. Heck, I'd even do 95% of spot!

Congrats on finding a teller that'll save for you, but if she does have another batch, be sure to offer her a bit less - claim that silver prices have seriously gone down. Which, coincidentally, they have.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals