90% bringing 20x at local flea market today!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

90% bringing 20x at local flea market today!!

Postby pennypicker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Today I ventured to my local weekend flea market here in Victorville, Ca. after a two year absence. It's a very large flea market with over 200 vendors. I strolled up to a table where a person was selling mostly silver bullion along with some better grade Morgans in a binder. When I approached the table I saw several people around the two tables and one buyer was creating a pile of Franklins. The sign on the box of Franklins said $10 each. The box of quarters & dimes were also 20x. I stood there and couldn't believe someone was paying $10 each for junk Franklins. Another person was buying average circulated peace dollars for $27

After this guy bought 50 or so Franklins I asked the dealer was it common for him to get 20x on 90% and he said yes because the local coin shop charges 20x plus 9.75% tax and buyers are happy to pay him 20x and not have to pay sales tax. He added that the local coin shop also charged $30 for their average circulated Peace dollars so his buyers were glad to get them for $27 with no tax.
Last edited by pennypicker on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: 90% bringing 20x at local flea market today!!

Postby beauanderos » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:02 pm

You should set up shop! Sell at 19X and undercut him... buy at 16X here to restock :thumbup:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't what's worse the 20x face or the 9.75% sales tax up there. You would think people would make the drive over the hill to LA or OC. Picking up junk silver here in OC at 16x to 17x face seems like it would save someone more than the cost of gas. The lower 8% sales tax rate would help too.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:41 pm

beauanderos wrote:You should set up shop! Sell at 19X and undercut him... buy at 16X here to restock :thumbup:

My immediate thought as well however Victorville has a substantial gang influence and the flea market is riddled with seasoned thieves who pass counterfeit money and/or use techniques such as "bait & switch" & "two-person distraction" to steal from you. Much too risky an environment for just one person to handle. If I was in perhaps Palo Alto or Mission Viejo--yes, but Victorville--no way Jose. :(
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cooyon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:19 pm

17X at our coin club show today in Lancaster,PA....40% was 6.25X....didn't see anyone buying either item.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:52 pm

Not sure I'd trust everything this guy had to say. Keep in mind he is trying to move product. If the nearby LCS's were charging 17 Xs for 90% do you think he would have admitted it? Its not uncommon for flea market vendors to overcharge for coins as they are more likely to attract novice buyers. LCS customers tend to be more educated and are less likely to put up with paying a nearly 40% premium.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:55 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:I don't what's worse the 20x face or the 9.75% sales tax up there. You would think people would make the drive over the hill to LA or OC. Picking up junk silver here in OC at 16x to 17x face seems like it would save someone more than the cost of gas. The lower 8% sales tax rate would help too.

What I don't get is the paying sales tax on Coins or Bullion! Illinois does NOT collect tax on silver/gold. It's one of the rare times when people from Wisconsin and Indiana cross the border to buy something that is not actually taxed in ILLINOIS. IDK if I would be able to pay for my AG plus sales tax... I would just buy from RC

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:58 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:
TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:I don't what's worse the 20x face or the 9.75% sales tax up there. You would think people would make the drive over the hill to LA or OC. Picking up junk silver here in OC at 16x to 17x face seems like it would save someone more than the cost of gas. The lower 8% sales tax rate would help too.

What I don't get is the paying sales tax on Coins or Bullion! Illinois does NOT collect tax on silver/gold. It's one of the rare times when people from Wisconsin and Indiana cross the border to buy something that is not actually taxed in ILLINOIS. IDK if I would be able to pay for my AG plus sales tax... I would just buy from RC

-The Great

California has to pay for its massive welfare state and its overwhelming prison industry. Therefore it taxes anything and everything. In fact when it comes to taxation I think California invented the concept :shh:

pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals