World Silver Survey 2014

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

World Silver Survey 2014

Postby 68Camaro » Thu May 15, 2014 5:44 am

Take this, as with all info, with a grain of salt - source of this is the silver institute, so of course some built-in potential bias in unknown ways.

https://www.silverinstitute.org/site/20 ... l-in-2013/

Third highest annual average price (despite having dropped from 2011)
Record overall physical demand
Record mine output (at a declining rate of increase) +26.9Moz
Major drop in scrap returns: -60.8Moz (more than offsets mining increase)
Near record industrial use (only slight drop, <half a percent, despite poor global economy)
Record coin/bar demand: up +106.3Moz or +76% year to year

No evidence in these records of a formal Chinese government sell-off (e.g., BIll Holter theory), but hard to tell if that could be detected in the SI stats.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: World Silver Survey 2014

Postby Saabman » Thu May 15, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks Rich! Interesting stats. But I was confused by this statement: "Primary silver mine cash costs stood at US$9.27 an ounce, increasing 1 percent in dollar terms." Are they saying that it only cost $9.27 to pull an ounce of silver out the ground? I've read/heard that it was around $20.00 or so?
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu May 15, 2014 11:06 am

On production cost, from what I've read its easy to end up with apples to oranges depending on who wants to make what point for what reason, and at our level the truth can appear a bit murky.

It is true that there are completely different costs for different mines of different types in different parts of the world with different primary objectives. Sorting that out is hard.

I do believe the average cost of an ounce from new mines is *well* over $20/oz. That gives you an idea of what amount of mining expansion is likely to occur, which is not much at this price.

From existing mines, I tend to believe the global production cost of a given new new ounce (not necesarily counting cost of capital, profit, M&R, etc) and mixing high-yield mines with low-yield mines, and mixing PM primary mines with base metal mines (that have silver byproduct) with is probably less than $10. But much of that yield is from already expensed capital and the big mines are wearing out and/or dependent on a base metal market (the silver yield from these goes to zero if the need for base metals goes away). And based on the number of mining companies with marginal profits at the current price, I suspect by the time you burden the cost per ounce with the reality of running a corporation that the actual delivered cost is higher than $10/oz. Note that miners will want to publicize low costs per ounce to make themeslves look good to the investor, so silver institute data on this could be suspect.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu May 15, 2014 11:40 pm

$9.27 is very misleading. There are costs and so-called all-in costs which include items such as maintenance and are therefore a lot higher. Also, if $9.27 was legit, then why did so many miners lose money last year when silver was way above $9.27 all year? In theory, they should have made money hand over fist if the true cost was anywhere near $9.27.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals