What's causing these "milk spots" on ASE's

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What's causing these "milk spots" on ASE's

Postby pennypicker » Sat May 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Does anyone know what specifically is causing so many slabbed ASEs to acquire the horrible looking "milk spots"? These slabs are from 2012 & 2013 but I frequently see these milk spots on 2014 slabbed ASE's (both PCGS & NGC). It happens so often that I don't see why people are paying huge premiums for these slabbed ASE's in MS69 & 70 condition when there is a significant chance they could turn ugly within months of being slabbed. Seems like too much of a gamble to me.
_57-1.jpg
_57-1.jpg (158.86 KiB) Viewed 449 times

315e1a0c-22f4-4248-9079-228ca4109dd4.jpg
315e1a0c-22f4-4248-9079-228ca4109dd4.jpg (200.05 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Last edited by pennypicker on Sat May 24, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: What's causing these "milk spots" on ASE's

Postby silverstacker » Sat May 24, 2014 9:13 pm

Wow. This is new to me but can see how this can be very unpleasant. I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and ask if maybe these spots could be due to a humid enviroment?
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat May 24, 2014 9:43 pm

silverstacker wrote:Wow. This is new to me but can see how this can be very unpleasant. I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and ask if maybe these spots could be due to a humid enviroment?

I live in an arid environment and have never seen a milk spot.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby baggerman » Sat May 24, 2014 10:19 pm

Probably the same reason that Maples are prone to milk spots. I think I remember reading it has to do with the dies not being properly cleaned or something like that.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby flynavy812 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Wow never seen any spots that bad... anxious to hear other answers.
flynavy812

Postby John_doe » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Canadian maples are worse than ASE's.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Zincanator » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:51 am

The internet has all sorts of explanations for milk spots.

Theories of causes I found in a quick search: corrosive gases in the air... a wash that the US Mint uses on the coins... human saliva... improper storage... displaying coins in cardboard albums...reaction of the silver with hydrochloric acid which remains when the planchets are insufficiently rinsed after a hydrochloric acid wash during manufacture.

The last theory above sounds most reasonable to me, maybe because of all the big words, ha ha. Most research I found agrees that the spots reside deep enough in the metal that they can't be removed from uncirculated coins using a chemical dip or anything like that. And apparently PCGS once offered a $50k reward for anyone who found a viable method for removing milkspots.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals