Bank etiquette when you want to weigh bag of coins on site?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bank etiquette when you want to weigh bag of coins on site?

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:34 pm

I think I was burned once on a bag of quarters at a bank, being shorted maybe $40. Decided after that I should just buy boxes and not bags as the worst they could be is short a few quarters. Same with dimes. Less hassle to worry about being shorted in boxes. But lately when I go the bank that sells me bags of cents and nickels, the generally have a bag of quarters or dimes on hand. The higher price per each bag, $1000 each I believe, is a little high some weeks for my budget so I have been non-inclined to even entertain the thought of buying them. But I am thinking now if I can weigh the bags to make sure they are with a few ounces of what the weight should be, I'd probably OK with not being shorted much if at all. Believe me, the only convenience of the bagged dimes or quarters is I can go through them in no time instead of having to peel back the paper fed rolls ones. Whether the chance of silver is better in a bag because there may a hot streak of a widow's dump in them, well that is edge that appeals mostly.

So, what is a good method of asking the bank if I can weigh the coin bags without them getting weirded out by the request?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Bank etiquette when you want to weigh bag of coins on si

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:58 am

Best method is to not do it. I've been shorted, as I'm sure most here have. Just inform them that their machine might be off. Make the least amount of waves as possible.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Bank etiquette when you want to weigh bag of coins on si

Postby coppernickel » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 am

The bank's counters are up and down. I figure the margin of error is less than consistently paying 3-13% on Coin Star.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals