Opinions Sought

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Opinions Sought

Postby Shazbot57 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Three weeks ago I purchased 10 - 5 ounce Silver Towne bars at one of the better Coin & Jewelry shops here, and was fortunate to get them at $99.90 each ($19.98 per ounce when spot was $18.83) before silver went up $2 an ounce. Now I wish I had bought more - maybe it will drift back down. I picked these up to add to the stack, and because they were serial numbered. I asked the dealer to put the serial numbers on the invoice (but not my name), that way there would never be a problem selling them, at least to that dealer.

Anyway, any thoughts about Silver Towne, or any of the other bullion bar manufacturers regarding quality, desireability, reputation, etc vs other brands/manufacturers?
Last edited by Shazbot57 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Re: Opinions Sought

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Pretty broad question... I like the larger bars as they seem to use up less space than say 1 ounce rounds. The bars also can be bought closer to spot than the Maples and Eagles can.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby coppernickel » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:00 pm

This is a good manufacturer, I get leary about off brand names until I can learn they accurate.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:12 pm

The dealer pulled them from a box that came from Silver Towne, and when I called Silver Towne the lady said they were under the most recent serial numbers they had produced. Just seeking thoughts from stackers about this manufacturer or others making 5 or 10 ounce bars. I like serial numbered bars when not purchasing 90% coins.
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Computer Jones » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:35 pm

I've bought from Silver Towne several times over the past 3 years, no problems and fast shipping.
I'd buy from them again without hesitation.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:06 pm

I've bought direct from them a number of times, in 1, 5, and 10 oz versions. I had only one problem, during one of the early price drops when silver demand skyrocketed, and they said they had them in stock when they didn't. I cried foul, fortunately had charged them to a card, threatened to file a complaint and reverse the charges, and they finally came through and shipped.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wagsthadog » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi there!

I'm a big Silvertowne fan as well- I wouldnt put them in the same niche as Johnson Matthey or Engelhard, but they are definitely a respectable mint with name recognition and a history to match. I know my late grandfather bought some Silvertowne stuff in the 70's, and they were a big player even then.

I dont think they are the best brand you can possibly buy, but I wouldnt worry about their reputation or liquidity in the least, if that's your concern. Whether or not the bars are genuine is a whole other can of worms that affects all the brands :roll:

Jmo,

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:56 am

good price
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals