Buying Silver in Mexico Report & Questions

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Buying Silver in Mexico Report & Questions

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:00 am

I have been trying to figure out how to buy bullion in Mexico. Here is what I have so far:

I found a few coin shops - very poor selection, junk silver and copper coins.

I heard that junk silver coins trade privately via newspaper ads

Banko Azteca all over Mexico in Electra Stores sell 1 ounce silver/uno onza plata coins of random dates - several days ago I bought at MEX 306 pesos US$23.67 They buy back at about a 10% spread less. I also heard they will store your silver for a fee.

At MEX airport some of the money exchange places had silver and gold spots in their signs but no longer offer metals. One place had buy/sell posted in Pesos for 1 oz gold coins (did not buy)

I saw 10 and 20 peso silver content Nuevo Peso coins from 1993 that are same size and style as current coins, and heard that they sometimes can be pulled from circulation. Worth 4xface now. I read you can get 20 peso coins with 10% silver content ant the bank but have not tried that yet and have never seen them in daily use.

Anyone else what to share?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: Buying Silver in Mexico Report & Questions

Postby Mossy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 pm

I would hesitate to purchase any metal (or anything else of high value) in Mexico, considering the level of corruption endemic to the country. No doubt there is great value to be obtained, but you really need to know the person you are dealing with, and know that they are not working with the police or a gang (same thing).
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals