Quite a spike up!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Quite a spike up!

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:05 pm

In the last hour or so gold/silver has really spiked up. Silver's up 40 cents on the day and over a quarter over $17.

Is this a sign of a final bottom being found or just more dead-cat-bouncing?
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Quite a spike up!

Postby beauanderos » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:30 pm

barrytrot wrote:In the last hour or so gold/silver has really spiked up. Silver's up 40 cents on the day and over a quarter over $17.

Is this a sign of a final bottom being found or just more dead-cat-bouncing?

my cynicism meter is spiking too :roll:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 pm

most likely a short-covering rally.
beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Well it went up a little more even after the spike, so that's good. +43 cents on the day and back into POSITIVE GAIN for both of my orders so I'm happy :)
barrytrot

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Time will tell. Sooner or later we'll hit the start of the big rally but it will only be obvious in hindsight.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Country » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:02 pm

$USD DOWN, PMs UP. Seems to be that simple.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:44 am

Let's see... A 2% move up after a 66% or so move down. Also, keep in mind that a 66% move down is roughly the same as a 200% move up. I haven't seen anything exciting yet.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby wolvesdad » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:42 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Let's see... A 2% move up after a 66% or so move down. Also, keep in mind that a 66% move down is roughly the same as a 200% move up. I haven't seen anything exciting yet.

+2
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:01 am

It will be event(s) in the world that spooks the market into a big climb in price. If nothing exciting is happening, the Boyz will continue with their program as planned.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:39 am

Happy day right now.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 93_Confirmed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:59 am

henrysmedford wrote:Happy day right now.

Why? :?
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:12 am

93_Confirmed, most people want metals to rise. Rising is therefore good :)
barrytrot

Postby brian0918 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:26 am

barrytrot wrote:93_Confirmed, most people want metals to rise. Rising is therefore good :)

It's only good if you're planning to dump PMs for the dollar and feel "wealthier". I want them to go down, so I can afford them. :P
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:57 am

brian0918 wrote:
barrytrot wrote:93_Confirmed, most people want metals to rise. Rising is therefore good :)

It's only good if you're planning to dump PMs for the dollar and feel "wealthier". I want them to go down, so I can afford them. :P

Ironically you base their going down on the DOLLAR but not their going up. Seems to be incorrect thinking.

Either the dollar value matters or it doesn't.
barrytrot

Postby brian0918 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:20 am

barrytrot wrote:
brian0918 wrote:

Ironically you base their going down on the DOLLAR but not their going up.

That's because it's dollars that I'm trying to get rid of. I don't have any intention of getting rid of my PMs until the dollar is worthless, or in the case of some emergency, so short-term spikes in dollar-price shouldn't matter, though I still catch myself pretending I'm wealthier sometimes. :oops:
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 93_Confirmed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:49 am

Yeah, I get that but was confused about the post being that it's up .09. Not much of a spike up! :D
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:50 am

If you could get rid of all dollars and eliminate the possibility of "emergencies" I would believe you. But until you can then for most of us being worth more worthless-dollars is beneficial :)
barrytrot

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:53 am

Might have missed the cheap silver - we'll see, but it hit $14.98 overnight on paper silver and that could have triggered the buy signals. We're all seeing premiums going up so the net prices for small ounce stuff the last couple of days - even with lower spot silver - really haven't been any better than 3-4 days ago, and they seem to me to be net 50 cents higher at $15.3 than they were at $16.1. I managed to pick up some stuff at net $17, but most of that seems to be gone and net price for physical is back to near $18, no matter what spot is. Unless you're buying 1000 oz bars, the demand has temporarily sucked up all the small stuff.

If you don't have your silver now, don't count on being able to get it during any market turmoil.

93 - not sure what you're base measurement is but compared to overnight minimum it's up 4.8%.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:58 am

68Camaro wrote:...If you don't have your silver now, don't count on being able to get it during any market turmoil...

Many people forget this key fact today. During the major rollovers, the physical market dries up. Premiums expand and prices accelerate to a point of frustration; this is due to those of whom who have metal for sale cannot adjust fast enough on the previous buy/sell spread, so they need to extend on both ends to maintain margins or ounces.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby barrytrot » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:19 pm

It seems to me that one of the "paper silver" ETFs has the option of them actually allocating silver at their warehouse if you do certain things with a certain quantity.

Does any one know the specifics on this?
barrytrot

Postby 93_Confirmed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:43 pm

68Camaro wrote:93 - not sure what you're base measurement is but compared to overnight minimum it's up 4.8%.

The first time I glanced at POS it was +.09 but I see that's up over .25 now.
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:01 pm

barrytrot wrote:It seems to me that one of the "paper silver" ETFs has the option of them actually allocating silver at their warehouse if you do certain things with a certain quantity.

PSLV (you might recall) is Sprott's physical silver paper, 100% backed at their warehouse, and within their rules (I believe integer numbers of 1000 oz bars) you have the right to redeem your shares for the physical it represents.

Central Fund of Canada also has a physically backed silver-only fund (as well as gold, and gold/silver combo funds) but I don't recall that it is redeemable.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:10 pm

68Camaro wrote:
barrytrot wrote:It seems to me that one of the "paper silver" ETFs has the option of them actually allocating silver at their warehouse if you do certain things with a certain quantity.

PSLV (you might recall) is Sprott's physical silver paper, 100% backed at their warehouse, and within their rules (I believe integer numbers of 1000 oz bars) you have the right to redeem your shares for the physical it represents.

Central Fund of Canada also has a physically backed silver-only fund (as well as gold, and gold/silver combo funds) but I don't recall that it is redeemable.

From what I recall, you can redeem 50,000 share blocks of SLV for physical silver. There was speculation that China was doing this.
beauanderos

Postby brian0918 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:25 pm

How would redemption work if your shares are through an IRA? Any early withdrawal to currency has penalties and taxes. What about withdrawal to non-currency?
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:39 pm

brian0918 wrote:How would redemption work if your shares are through an IRA? Any early withdrawal to currency has penalties and taxes. What about withdrawal to non-currency?

Most likely NOT available in that case due to the rules of your IRA.

The exception being if you have a fully "self managed IRA" in which case it is still likely NOT POSSIBLE because the "self managed" still has a LOT of seemingly unnecessary rules.
barrytrot

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals