'64 halves still getting huge premiums on Ebay. Madness.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

'64 halves still getting huge premiums on Ebay. Madness.

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:26 pm

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: '64 halves still getting huge premiums on Ebay. Madness.

Postby beauanderos » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:36 pm

buyer placed that bid early, was probably hoping to win it much more cheaply. Was forced to pay more due to a push bid at the last moment.
Buyer (if he's smart) has already determined a deal with seller to buy multiple items for the same shipping cost.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Ha! I was buying $500 FV bags in the late 80's and early 90's just under spot. N-O-B-O-D-Y wanted them.

I still have 1000's of them, mostly in BU.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby wolvesdad » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:47 am

Ok
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:38 pm

People are also still paying $25+ on ebay for 1 oz generic silver rounds. My thinking is that some of these high payers live in a remote, small towns where the cost of gas to drive to a larger town to pick up just one or two rounds (or Kennedy halves) would be cost prohibitive.

Of course it goes without saying there are a lot of dumb buyers on ebay as well.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:40 pm

pennypicker wrote:People are also still paying $25+ on ebay for 1 oz generic silver rounds. My thinking is that some of these high payers live in a remote, small towns where the cost of gas to drive to a larger town to pick up just one or two rounds (or Kennedy halves) would be cost prohibitive.

Of course it goes without saying there are a lot of dumb buyers on ebay as well.

I thought of that, too. But then, why couldn't they buy from Apmex for $21?

Then I figured it must be these ebay bucks I keep hearing about...so they're not really spending their own money...?

And yes...many clueless buyers.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby wolvesdad » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Well Apmex at$21. But then $9 for shipping.
Buy 1 round on ebay for $22-$25 w free shipping
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:27 pm

wolvesdad wrote:Well Apmex at$21. But then $9 for shipping.
Buy 1 round on ebay for $22-$25 w free shipping

My thinking exactly when I replied earlier.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby merchoarder » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Also I realize that there are silver rounds and coins in many a strange category but if they are listed under bullion, no eBay bucks.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Double3 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Right now people have ebay bucks to spend so they often over spend.
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:18 am

I remember positing a while back, that POST frn, the 64 Kennedy halve will be the bellwether coin of trade in CONUS, its a over a third a toz, the numbers minted are there, liquidity...its fractionized...and right behind that will be the 40% Kenn (65-70) almost a fifth an ounce...in all, there's probably a billion pieces minted...perfect for a post frn trade environment,

at least for those that make it past(God forbid) any ebola pandemic. a story that is a LONG way from being over.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 93_Confirmed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:10 pm

neilgin1 wrote:I remember positing a while back, that POST frn, the 64 Kennedy halve will be the bellwether coin of trade in CONUS, its a over a third a toz, the numbers minted are there, liquidity...its fractionized...and right behind that will be the 40% Kenn (65-70) almost a fifth an ounce...in all, there's probably a billion pieces minted...perfect for a post frn trade environment,

at least for those that make it past(God forbid) any ebola pandemic. a story that is a LONG way from being over.

Agreed and I'd include the the franklins, walkers and barbers in that as well. I think halves (but particularly kennedys) would be the primary coin traded post frn / shtf.
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:35 am

Advantages of halves over dimes and quarters:

1) Fewer coins to count;
2) Better likelihood of getting a tougher date coin for melt value;
3) Bigger dates (so older people with lousy vision can read them much more easily than dimes and badly worn Standing Liberty qtrs.); and
4) Less likely to jam some counting machines (like Mercury dimes)

Advantage of halves over silver dollars:

1) You don't pay the big premium over spot that you do with Morgan and Peace dollars

Disadvantage of halves vs. silver dollars:

1) There are lots of VAM (varieties) dollar coins that you might find, if you are so inclined
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:11 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Advantages of halves over dimes and quarters:

1) Fewer coins to count;
2) Better likelihood of getting a tougher date coin for melt value;
3) Bigger dates (so older people with lousy vision can read them much more easily than dimes and badly worn Standing Liberty qtrs.); and
4) Less likely to jam some counting machines (like Mercury dimes)

Advantage of halves over silver dollars:

1) You don't pay the big premium over spot that you do with Morgan and Peace dollars

Disadvantage of halves vs. silver dollars:

1) There are lots of VAM (varieties) dollar coins that you might find, if you are so inclined

Good points.

I'll add one pro for dimes... if silver price does ever skyrocket, dimes are fractional. One average silver dime = 1/14 of an ounce.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:15 pm

People on eBay must not have a clue about better places to buy silver. People are paying stupid premiums. Mind you I do pruise eBay and can find a deal once and a while but the deals are few and far between. eBucks are nice to accumulate but not when you are over paying for everything you are winning.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:03 am

Rastatodd wrote:People on eBay must not have a clue about better places to buy silver. People are paying stupid premiums. Mind you I do pruise eBay and can find a deal once and a while but the deals are few and far between. eBucks are nice to accumulate but not when you are over paying for everything you are winning.

Todd, everybody has different situations, so writing this "People on eBay must not have a clue about better places to buy silver."......might not be the truth. I live in a county the size of Manhattan, but with a population of 20,000.....one person, my brother, 15 miles away, knows of my stack...no one else, it would be imprudent to say anything, the only coinseller nearby is 10 miles in a consignment shop, besides the fact his inventory is wanting and his offers in dreamland, I don't want to be seen or known to be buying ANY silver in this county.

a friend of mine about 10 miles the other way got his door stove in by meth heads, and I was told they stole a "lot of coins"...I didn't ask questions, but I assume they were of value. he drives the school bus, and is on a county highway, so his moves can be clocked. I live on a dead end gravel road, and am here 97-99% of the time, so scouting meth heads up here would be Christmas time for me to have a real world training exercise, plus since the County Sheriff and I are going out for Chinese next week, i'd don't think he'd be too mad at me for taking out any future problem children he might have to deal with in the future.

Hence, Ebay is a great way for me to stack......never had a bad deal. the postman is a good man, straight, honest, doesn't ask questions, plus he knows the clan up here on this ridge...its not a healthy environment for the curious or those with ill intent, danger of lead poisoning.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:59 am

neilgin1 wrote:
Rastatodd wrote:People on eBay must not have a clue about better places to buy silver. People are paying stupid premiums. Mind you I do pruise eBay and can find a deal once and a while but the deals are few and far between. eBucks are nice to accumulate but not when you are over paying for everything you are winning.

Todd, everybody has different situations, so writing this "People on eBay must not have a clue about better places to buy silver."......might not be the truth. I live in a county the size of Manhattan, but with a population of 20,000.....one person, my brother, 15 miles away, knows of my stack...no one else, it would be imprudent to say anything, the only coinseller nearby is 10 miles in a consignment shop, besides the fact his inventory is wanting and his offers in dreamland, I don't want to be seen or known to be buying ANY silver in this county.

a friend of mine about 10 miles the other way got his door stove in by meth heads, and I was told they stole a "lot of coins"...I didn't ask questions, but I assume they were of value. he drives the school bus, and is on a county highway, so his moves can be clocked. I live on a dead end gravel road, and am here 97-99% of the time, so scouting meth heads up here would be Christmas time for me to have a real world training exercise, plus since the County Sheriff and I are going out for Chinese next week, i'd don't think he'd be too mad at me for taking out any future problem children he might have to deal with in the future.

Hence, Ebay is a great way for me to stack......never had a bad deal. the postman is a good man, straight, honest, doesn't ask questions, plus he knows the clan up here on this ridge...its not a healthy environment for the curious or those with ill intent, danger of lead poisoning.

+1 All good point, YB. Operational security could well be worth paying a small premium.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rastatodd » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:29 am

neilgin1 wrote:

Now if you are buying coins on eBay and mind you that is your prerogative all the power to you. You are receiving your coins via USPS, why not purchase here on Realcent from members that offer a much better price as per FV. The silver would be mailed to you and delivered by the same postal worker that you trust. Just a thought. Just a note I am concerned about the security of my stack as well, it's safe guarded by two deadbolts and two very large dogs that have the run of the house when my wife and I are away. Can't say that I have a issue with meth heads so I should call myself lucky in that respect. Stack any way a person likes. I'm just a little tight when it comes to paying premuim that's all.:thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:01 pm

You are receiving your coins via USPS, why not purchase here on Realcent from members that offer a much better price as per FV.

because you and others are friends, albeit cyber friends, and I don't trade with friends.

why not? because I have feelings for friends, which messes me up, when I trade. When I see rolls on Ebay I WANT, its easy to slash and burn,because I have no feelings for either other bidders or the seller, and if the seller angers me in any way, its easier to call him on it, dispassionately OR never trade with him again.

and I wouldn't want that here. friends, either real life, or cyber, I treasure. I was trading in the pits, livestock, when I was 21, and you have no friends. Yeh, you can cackle and bray with these guys, but in the end, you have to be cold hearted, and prepared to be real nasty in the pits or in trade, when i'm here, I want to leave that behind. That's why I got into that ruckus with a poster I shall not name, I know his kind all too well, and despise them. That's why I don't trade futures anymore, also with the exception of the grains (maybe livestock) most futures markets are a socialized crooked sham...when central banks can trade SnP futures, somethings wrong....when the prop trading desks of the 6 major banks can pound on silver, somethings wrong.

I digress, but all i'm in the market for now, are slabbed $20 face of SAE's...they have them, and you HAVE to pay a premium.

why?...well I got a good stack of 90 and 40 per centers, most BU, along with boxes of 75/25 nickels, and buckets of 95% copper pennies, so I want to dramatically beef up .999 SAE's...BUT, when you see that rotten nest called Alibaba, do an IPO on the American market, KNOWING these are the BIGGEST F###ing counterfeiter's of Eagles, I want PCGS or NGC to slab the roll of Eagles, so I can sleep at night.....hence the premium....and hence my better angels can be on display here.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Rastatodd » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:32 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
You are receiving your coins via USPS, why not purchase here on Realcent from members that offer a much better price as per FV.

because you and others are friends, albeit cyber friends, and I don't trade with friends.

why not? because I have feelings for friends, which messes me up, when I trade. When I see rolls on Ebay I WANT, its easy to slash and burn,because I have no feelings for either other bidders or the seller, and if the seller angers me in any way, its easier to call him on it, dispassionately OR never trade with him again.

and I wouldn't want that here. friends, either real life, or cyber, I treasure. I was trading in the pits, livestock, when I was 21, and you have no friends. Yeh, you can cackle and bray with these guys, but in the end, you have to be cold hearted, and prepared to be real nasty in the pits or in trade, when i'm here, I want to leave that behind. That's why I got into that ruckus with a poster I shall not name, I know his kind all too well, and despise them. That's why I don't trade futures anymore, also with the exception of the grains (maybe livestock) most futures markets are a socialized crooked sham...when central banks can trade SnP futures, somethings wrong....when the prop trading desks of the 6 major banks can pound on silver, somethings wrong.

I digress, but all i'm in the market for now, are slabbed $20 face of SAE's...they have them, and you HAVE to pay a premium.

why?...well I got a good stack of 90 and 40 per centers, most BU, along with boxes of 75/25 nickels, and buckets of 95% copper pennies, so I want to dramatically beef up .999 SAE's...BUT, when you see that rotten nest called Alibaba, do an IPO on the American market, KNOWING these are the BIGGEST F###ing counterfeiter's of Eagles, I want PCGS or NGC to slab the roll of Eagles, so I can sleep at night.....hence the premium....and hence my better angels can be on display here.

Good for and the way you conduct your purchases. My hats off to you. I was always wondering why you had no feedback now I know why. :thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:50 pm

neilgin1 wrote:...BUT, when you see that rotten nest called Alibaba, do an IPO on the American market, KNOWING these are the BIGGEST F###ing counterfeiter's of Eagles, I want PCGS or NGC to slab the roll

I've been meaning to ask: if ASE's are money...and obviously they are, $1 coins...and we have a Secret Service that's supposed to investigate counterfeiting, and Alibaba is known to counterfeit ASE's....what am I missing?

Has the SS been told to stand down in regards to a Chinese company for...what exactly. Political reasons? To aid in disrupting and generally unsettling the silver market?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Thanks Todd.....Ras Tafari! I and I, mon.

know what my favorite rolls are? 64 Kennedy Proofs....like mirrors, and every roll had at least 5 accented hairs in the 67-69 grade! I kid you not.

i'm afraid to send them to be graded, for fear they'll swap 'em out and give me a "65"....that's my level of trust....lol.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:50 pm

As far as Alibaba, it's a racket. Here in the U.S., it's all a racket, we ship pallets of hundred dollar bills to other countries to use, we just print and it makes things happen, it's a racket. Yeah, we got due process and boat loads of laws and regs, but at the end of the day, the money still does the talking.

Yes, the half dollars are awesome, on the tail of the silver dollar which has such a premium jack, its probably next popular, don't know about the 40%, but those may be even more popular among the preppers.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Morsecode wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:...BUT, when you see that rotten nest called Alibaba, do an IPO on the American market, KNOWING these are the BIGGEST F###ing counterfeiter's of Eagles, I want PCGS or NGC to slab the roll

I've been meaning to ask: if ASE's are money...and obviously they are, $1 coins...and we have a Secret Service that's supposed to investigate counterfeiting, and Alibaba is known to counterfeit ASE's....what am I missing?

Has the SS been told to stand down in regards to a Chinese company for...what exactly. Political reasons? To aid in disrupting and generally unsettling the silver market?

bro Morse, its just my opinion, that in these days, there is NOT ONE institution in this beloved Country, that you can trust anymore, they are ALL run by half fag sociopaths, who have no honor nor nobility...and one day a tiny spark will ignite an inferno.

you know, these blacks down in Fergusson, MO? .....they're children, when they "do" a riot, they steal candy bars and gym shoes, and burn their grocery stores down, really just a break from gunning down each other.

but we get this tiny spark I speak of?....and you see a white riot?....need I say more?

Bring back this beautiful Country to the Constitution, nuff said.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:57 pm

everything wrote:As far as Alibaba, it's a racket. Here in the U.S., it's all a racket, we ship pallets of hundred dollar bills to other countries to use, we just print and it makes things happen, it's a racket. Yeah, we got due process and boat loads of laws and regs, but at the end of the day, the money still does the talking.

Yes, the half dollars are awesome, on the tail of the silver dollar which has such a premium jack, its probably next popular, don't know about the 40%, but those may be even more popular among the preppers.

amen to all you wrote!

due respect?....soon the 40%'ers will be REAL popular. Why?...what? almost 3 quarters of a billion pieces each with almost a fifth toz of silver?

nice liquidity, cant beat it.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals