Ever swap out a silver coin in a fountain?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ever swap out a silver coin in a fountain?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:42 am

I've gone by fountains and looked at the coins trying to find silver, but no luck so far. Anyone have any stories about taking a silver coin out of a fountain (or even a donation box at a retailer) to swap it for a clad coin? I bet there might be some very entertaining stories here...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Ever swap out a silver coin in a fountain?

Postby coindood » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:54 am

My only fountain find was as a kid when I plucked a 1902 Indian cent at our local mall. Walked by it over and over and was so reluctant to go for it, but I eventually did and threw in a clad dime to replace it.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:43 am

I would dive into a fountain fully clothed for a silver quarter. Probably for an '02 Indian, too.

There's a water feature at the kids' center we volunteer at, and people toss change into it. Problem there is it's guarded by a snapping turtle. Big and mean.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Morsecode wrote:I would dive into a fountain fully clothed for a silver quarter.

:lol: :lol:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:59 am

The days of finding a silver quarter/dime in a fountain are long gone. The fountains are cleaned and the coins are usually collected every couple of months.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:02 pm

My wife snags any silver she sees at the school coin/penny drives. We always replace the coins at melt rounded up to the next dollar. I paid $4.00 each for seven 40% Kennedys last spring. The year before I got $0.35 face 90% and 93 clad Ikes.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Zincanator » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:12 am

I was dragged out of a mall by the ear as a kid by security for pulling coins out of the fountain. This was shortly after watching the Empire Strikes Back at the theater there, myself and friends waiting for parents to pick us up. That's about as far as my fountain hunting experience goes.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:35 am

Zincanator wrote:I was dragged out of a mall by the ear as a kid by security for pulling coins out of the fountain. This was shortly after watching the Empire Strikes Back at the theater there, myself and friends waiting for parents to pick us up. That's about as far as my fountain hunting experience goes.

Obama has big ears. Hmmmm.... I wonder.... :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals