Whitman Coin show in Baltimore.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Whitman Coin show in Baltimore.

Postby chris819 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:20 am

Hi I was wondering if anyone has ever been to the coin show in Baltimore? I went about 2 or 3 years ago to just look around but this time I might buy some silver and other coins I need like Wheats and V nickels. I have some questions if anyone could help.

How are the prices on silver?
Do you have to buy whole rolls of silver or pick the years you want? Just asking this as I need to fill in some of my years in Roosevelt's and Mercury dimes.
Also what is a good price for Indians and V Nickels common dates with dates?
Any other info would be grateful

Thanks
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Whitman Coin show in Baltimore.

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:44 pm

chris819 wrote:Hi I was wondering if anyone has ever been to the coin show in Baltimore? I went about 2 or 3 years ago to just look around but this time I might buy some silver and other coins I need like Wheats and V nickels. I have some questions if anyone could help.

How are the prices on silver?
Do you have to buy whole rolls of silver or pick the years you want? Just asking this as I need to fill in some of my years in Roosevelt's and Mercury dimes.
Also what is a good price for Indians and V Nickels common dates with dates?
Any other info would be grateful

Thanks

I was there 2 years ago and it was a decent show.

Price of silver always varies on the market but at the time I could get bars for $1.50 over.

If you are buying for bullion than you by by the roll or X dollar amount. If you buy certain years you will pay a premium for it being a numismatic coin.

Common date Indians are normally 90 cents to $1 if they are in G condition. V nickels are around 10-25 cents in G.

Walk the whole show and look at everything before you make your purchase. If you see a great deal than pop on it right away.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Gobirds66 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:48 am

For what it is worth. I have been to this show every year for the past 4-5 years. I also go to some of the other Whitman shows in Baltimore as well.

Prices for Silver Bullion are decent. I usually get generic rounds or bars for about $1-$1.50 over spot at the most. There are so many vendors there that you have to walk the floor and talk to people to find the best deal. I did this for about 3 years until I saw the same people being the best value. Now, I just know the general areas where their booth is located, so I can get in, get out, and feel like I got a fair deal.

One thing I like about the show is there is always a guy who brings a nice selection of Christmas themed generic silver bars and rounds. I could care less what is on the bar or round when I stack myself, but since I buy an ounce for each family member for the Holidays, it is nice to get one with Merry Christmas 2014 on it versus a Silvertowne or Apmex bar. His prices are usually about a buck over spot (give or take) and he does not charge a premium for the Christmas stuff which is nice since some places take advantage of the season. He always seems to have a nice selection and plenty of each.

You can also find ASE's for about $2-$2.50 over spot if you look around enough. This will likely be for the more common ASE years (or current year) but who cares, an ASE is an ASE in my book. My LCS usually sells ASE's at $4 over spot so going to this show is a discount for me without having to buy 100 ounces at a time from my LCS.

Of course there are plenty of other vendors that have coin silver, bullion in various weights (1,5,10,100 toz), ASE's, as well as the popular foreign stuff (Chinese, Canadian, Austrian, etc.) I never see the America The Beautiful Hockey Pucks though. They must not be that popular, or I am just going blind.

There are a wide range of numi dealers there as well so if you are looking to fill a book, I am sure that you can find what as well, although that is not my deal as much, so I cannot speak how good the deals are, but with 500+ dealers, I have to think you will be successful on some level.

The show is free, which is a plus and they have a city police presence in the convention center, but it is in the middle of Baltimore and parking is not free in the area garages. If you are only going for an ounce or two of bullion, you may do better from a financial standpoint just buying at the LCS. I seem to find the break even point for me at 10 ounces depending on where I park. So I just save up to go and make this one of my bigger purchases of the year.

One more thing, when you register (and everyone must register) they give you a sticker to wear while in the event. Before leaving the venue, please remember to take the sticker off as it just draws attention to your business in a city that has a rather high crime rate. Just my paranoia.

Hope this helps.....
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:34 am

I suggest that you post here, on realcent's WTB section, your empty holes, and the condition which you want. People will help you here more than the dealers will help you on the bourse floor.

Don't expect to be treated all that well if you ask to dig through the 90% junk bin for certain dates with a dealer that is trying to sell in bulk and has high value items in the case. These guys are there to sell and buy and make more than their table fees back. To rent a space is several hundred dollars, plus their time, plus their food, plus entertainment, and plus lodging... and that's a big bill that your purchase barely touches. The real estate that the pay for is precious. Be courteous and tell them that you would appreciate it if you could look for certain dates off to the side of the table, out of the way, and under their terms. If you are nice, they will be nice. But don't expect to be coddled. Not that this is what I think you are expecting... just something of which you should be aware.

ps. I'm going to be beating the floors there... scooping deals as I see them! :P
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals