Engelhard 'stevecoknit' / 'stevecowovens' Rounds

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Engelhard 'stevecoknit' / 'stevecowovens' Rounds

Postby 93_Confirmed » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:37 pm

I went to my LCS and asked to see his box of generic bullion. I dig through for about 10 minutes checking every piece and come across a 'stevecoknit' round buried in the bottom. It's dated 1976 and in pretty good condition. I dig a little more and find another - this one dated 1977 and then a third - dated 1978. I don't have much experience with these rounds but vaguely recalled them being manufactured by Engelhard. I nabbed all 3 for $60. It turns out they were in fact produced by Engelhard....and even better they were minted in quatities of only 1,000 (for each of the three years). :thumbup:

http://allengelhard.com/definitive-page ... rd-rounds/

Produced by Engelhard in 1978 for Stevco [Stevcowovens/Stevcoknit]. The Stevcoknit trademark was filed for registration by Stevcoknit Textile Company in November, 1961, to be used for Knitted Textile Fabrics Made of Cotton, Wool and Synthetic Fibers. The company was incorporated in April, 1971, and innovated high quality and technologically advanced fabrics. SEC records indicate Delta Woodside Industries acquired Stevcoknit Fabrics Company, of North Carolina, in 1986 and closed operations in 1998 due to losses incurred from outdated textile equipment.

Do any of you own any stevecoknit or stevecowovens rounds or have you seen them for sale on the bay or RC? I'm curious to know what these might go for.
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Re: Engelhard 'stevecoknit' / 'stevecowovens' Rounds

Postby cooyon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:46 pm

I am unfamiliar with these, but with the low mintage pedigree they should appeal to Engelhard collectors. If you listed on ebay and they don't draw a high enough bid, you can always cancel the listing (I think you can, I'm not a seller on ebay). Anyway, there are folks on here who can give you better guidance than what you will get from me about ebay selling / expectations.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:00 pm

They are worth $40-75 each depending on which one you have and the brand.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby 93_Confirmed » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:24 pm

highroller4321 wrote:They are worth $40-75 each depending on which one you have and the brand.

Thanks. There are four total in the set ('75-'78). I have these three:

1976 - stevcowovens
1977 - stevcowovens
1978 - stevcoknit
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:52 pm

93_Confirmed wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:They are worth $40-75 each depending on which one you have and the brand.

Thanks. There are four total in the set ('75-'78). I have these three:

1976 - stevcowovens
1977 - stevcowovens
1978 - stevcoknit

Ebay will tell you all you need to know. :thumbup:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals