What lies have you told the banks?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What lies have you told the banks?

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:46 am

I'm curious about what lies everyone has told banks- there are probably some very interesting ones out there. Some that I imagine people use are:

1) I'm not a coin collector;
2) I won't bring these coins back to this bank; and
3) I need half dollars for use as poker chips.

So what are some of the lies/fibs that you have used or heard of other people using?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What lies have you told the banks?

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:34 am

I'm from the government and I'm here to help
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:22 am

Your drive through is NOT too wide!
That other bank isn't even my type.
I wasn't looking at her coin counter.
I don't even like big sacks of coins.
I always listen to what you say. :angel:
Last edited by Engineer on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rum3002576 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:56 am

these coins are for the kids
rum3002576
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dano » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:41 am

"Looking for half dollars to give as gifts to my nieces and nephews".
"I need rolls of dimes for our card games"
"Looking for large dollars. The tooth fairy gives out the large dollars"
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:50 am

My father used to have me go into his bank to ask for rolls of the State quarters. They would only give them to members, which I was not. So I go in and ask for 2 rolls of the current quarter, and the teller (which just happened to be the head teller) asks me, "Are you a member here?". Thinking if I just answer "yes", I will get the rolls and be on my way. Wrong. She then says, "I have never seen you here before". Now I realize I have been caught. So to answer her, I say, "Oh I usually do my banking at your other branch". To which she asks, "Which branch is that?". I now have now idea where their other branches are at, so at a loss what to answer. I say something dumb, like, "Well, where are your other branches?". She now knows I am not a member and have lied to all the answers. I guess she figures she has embarrassed me enough, and gives me the 2 rolls. I never went back to that bank. The funny part was my father never wanted the rolls for himself, he was turning them around to a coin shop for a very small profit.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverflake » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:38 am

"I trust this bank to do whats best for me."
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:29 pm

I'll call you
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Buy the tellers chocolate, donuts and other bakery goods every once In a while, especially during the holidays. You won't have to lie to them at all.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby rum3002576 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:52 pm

:clap:
Engineer wrote:I'll call you
rum3002576
Penny Collector Member

Postby hirbonzig » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:24 pm

On a recent trip I got 3 dime boxes and the teller asked me what I was going to do with all those dimes. Off the top of my head I said they were for a scavenger hunt. :oops: I realized what a dumb answer that was and got the hell out of the bank. Telling her the truth would have been best.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MrIncredible » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:37 pm

"I lost a bet with a friend and want to pay him in pennies to piss him off"
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:22 am

MrIncredible wrote:"I lost a bet with a friend and want to pay him in pennies to piss him off"

Now that is creative. I can imagine a teller after seeing you for the tenth time saying "You need to stop betting with your friend!"
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:22 am

MrIncredible wrote:"I lost a bet with a friend and want to pay him in pennies to piss him off"

I have had tellers ask me if that is what I am getting pennies for. :mrgreen:

There are also the seasonal lies like "I need the pennies for giving out to kids for Halloween" or "I need the half dollars for the kids Christmas stockings."
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:36 am

we use the pennies for collection boards as hobby projects for the patients at the retirement home.

Old people searching for good dates... sounds like Match.com :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Engineer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:09 pm

I prefer to tell the truth without answering. Example:

Teller - what are all these half dollars for?
Engineer (looking shifty) - They're not to throw at strippers, I swear!
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cooyon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:01 pm

1. "I really need another credit card...of course I'll apply for one...right now?...well, OK gimme the form!...Oh, you will fill it out for me now?..gee, thanks!"
2. "I sort through the boxes of pennies to make up sets for the kids at the orphanage for Christmas, so that's why I really don't want 3 boxes of 2014's."
3. "The reason I ask for all the empty coin boxes each week is I'm celebrating diversity." (that usually leaves 'em speechless)
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:33 pm

I just tell the truth. I am looking for errors and rare coins. Nearly all the time I get what I can carry.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Why do you tell these stories? Does your bank actually care why you are buying coins?
I tell them exactly what I'm doing. Most of the time they are in wide eyed bewilderment at the knowledge I'm laying down. Either that or they already have a keeper spot in their drawer.
Be friendly and grateful. You possibly are making fools of yourselves because they already know why you are buying coins.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Morsecode » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:17 pm

The storytelling ended a while back. They rotate the tellers among the 15 branches so often I couldn't keep the fibs straight anyway.

Your best ally is familiarity. They see me so much I'm invisible, and my coin needs are by now a normal transaction.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby uthminsta » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:27 pm

I have a hard time outright lying, but sometimes I just stretch the truth, or tell prat of it. "I look for the old ones" works with any coin, without being too specific. "The girls and I sort pennies together" even though they don't REALLY help all that much. I believe most of the time they are just making conversation, and not trying to figure out your great secret. You're probably one of their least crazy customers. Think about that.
uthminsta

Postby coppernickel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:45 am

I hate to lie. I ask for the change, and give no reason. I have learned to mostly visit those branches that deal with commercial customers, and I just fit in.

It is interesting to see the reasons they come up with. They get that spark and, "It must be poker night." or "I didn't think that was legal." or "don't break any laws with these."
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ME Co. » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:35 am

The Trick to a good lie it HAS to be funny...
Source banks- "what do you do with all these? I throw them in wishing wells.
Dump banks- Where do you get all these? I clean out wishing wells.
And since I always give the ladies candy. What do you do for a living? I'm a Dentist.
HH all, Mark

Another favorite used on occasion... I'd tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya. :mrgreen:
"Life is a coin, you can spend it any way you want but you can only spend it once."
ME Co.

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm totally guilty of the "using them for poker chips" line.

One time I told a teller that I look for the older coins, in to which she replied, "if they are pre-64, we sort thru and take those out, so we don't have alot of OLD coins in our rolls".... :shock: :shock: :oops: well... I guess I just found a new dump location!!!

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:26 pm

i once bought 50 cases of water with 30 (16 oz.) bottles of water in each case. I had some extra money and they were on sale, I wanted to add them to my SHTF supplies...........the teenage cashier asked my why on earth was I buying this much water in the middle of the night on a weekday......I told her my water got shut off, and I wanted to take a bath. :lol: she looked at me like I was crazy.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals