Penny Arcade miss counting halves?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Penny Arcade miss counting halves?

Postby MatthewsTech » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:15 pm

I had $50 in halves.

Went to 2 different td banks.
First bank put in $20, only got credit for $19.
Second bank put in$30 only got credit for $29.

At the second bank i end asked the teller to double check and he didnt see any stuck inside but he didnt go as far as auditing the bag.

Anyone else have this trouble with halves? I know others had problems with dimes.
1% Cash Back on Bullion from Ebay @ ebates: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=EmU8DkL62%2BPQi2w8e28nMQ%3D%3D&eeid=26471 (referral link)

Plus earn even more at most online retailers.
MatthewsTech
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Penny Arcade miss counting halves?

Postby NHsorter » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:40 pm

I have had known miscounts on many occasions. The machines are far from perfect. That's why you need to pull the schwag off the magnet. It's makes up for the machine screwing you at times.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:07 pm

The half dollar and dollar accuracy are never tested (to my knowledge). Daily testing is 1 roll each of quarters, dimes, nickels and cents. If the count is $17.50 they consider the machine calibrated.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:57 am

do they consider it calibrated if it is a dollar over?
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:22 am

Understand that the people responsible for daily testing are only bank employees, not techs. The $17.50 is a simple way of determining functionality...if the count is off by a cent they take "corrective" steps and re-test it. Any remedy undertaken by a teller is pretty much limited to cleaning sensitive parts with compressed air and alcohol swabs. If the count comes up wrong a second time by a penny or two they will allow the machine to remain in service pending a service call. If the count is off by more than that they're supposed to shut it down altogether.

In my experience closing it down indefinitely is something they never hesitate to do. The tellers (and staff) love it when Penny is asleep for a few days. Much less work for them.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Coin counting machines can (will) get dirty and the sensors can (will) mis-sort or mis-count. At PM I find dimes, nickels, & quarters in the $50 "baby bags" of pennies from banks all the time - sometimes even tokens or foreign coins. Not a huge amount by any means - and mostly just dimes - but it definitely happens and I imagine that whoever the coins originated from got paid 1 cent instead of 10 on those dimes.

I prefer to roll my own personal pocket change and take it to the bank that way, but I realize that's not really an option if you are hand-sorting huge amounts of halves, nickels, or pennies.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby 93_Confirmed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:59 am

I have also had many probles with halves at the Penny Arcade. Constantly jams partly because the bags are too small / fill to quickly and because the machine is probably not mainteneced well enough. The last time I went in, the machine jammed and when they opened it up there were a bunch of clad Ike's and some foreign. Why yes, those are also mine. :thumbup:
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby coppernickel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:03 pm

;) I figure about 3% error rate at the bank is still cheaper than paying the 3% fee. If the bank gets it right I figure "bonus." They are usually that far off around here.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sullysullinburg » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:53 pm

You have never been to my TD bank. $250 halfs total $199.47 . And halfs aren't the only ones $150 in dimes $73.50. The way I get this fixed is I talk to the manger and when the ship them off to be counted if they see and error they give me what I'm missing in cash!
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Postby amalekidad » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:57 pm

I use the machines for pennies ONLY. It is pretty rare that they give me credit for anything other than $0.01. I bag my halves $1000 at a time and use them to pay my mortgage.
All other coins go into my counting tubes. I roll my own ;-}
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sullysullinburg » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:00 pm

amalekidad wrote:I use the machines for pennies ONLY. It is pretty rare that they give me credit for anything other than $0.01. I bag my halves $1000 at a time and use them to pay my mortgage.
All other coins go into my counting tubes. I roll my own ;-}

They take rolls of halfs as payment for anything!?!??
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals