Small town auction - Be ready for those. I wasn't.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Small town auction - Be ready for those. I wasn't.

Postby AuStruck » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:16 am

Last Saturday I visited a small town nearby. I saw a poster advertising an estate auction. I went there. I was three hours late from the 9 am start. There were a rather large amount of coins. I found out that credit cards were accepted. I've never been to an estate auction before. Pitchers, plates, old signs seemed to be of significant interest.

The collector (estate), for example, had folders of pennies, about ten folders of 1941-1974 pennies. I looked at five or six. All holes were filled. The steel cents didn't look great. Some of the other pennies were not great. Only one man bid on those. He got all for $5 apiece. There were about five people bidding on coins. There was overbidding on Morgan dollars.

I managed to buy a small amount. I got for example two brown Ikes for $4 dollars. They did not have the outer package, just the plastic holder. There were some very old large pennies in pretty good shape, and other old coins. A man with a book of coin values bid and "won" many of the old coins.
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Small town auction - Be ready for those. I wasn't.

Postby everything » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:22 pm

Sound like you found a good one to get some experience about these auctions, always interesting to hear about the Morgans.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:22 pm

AuStruck wrote: There was overbidding on Morgan dollars.

I have been to many household auctions and coin auctions and I have found that the Morgan dollar is one of the most overbid, overpriced coin there is. Household auctions are the worst. People see a coin from the 1800's and they think WOW that has got to be worth a lot. I see slicks that I would consider culls sell for $50.00 to $60.00 all the time.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby KeepStacking » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:47 pm

I've seen horrible overbidding at auctions to the point it made me wonder if it was shill bidding going on. I even remember a few of us laughing about it in earshot of one of the frequent bidders. He tried to tell us that a local refiner was paying something like 33% over spot on Morgans so that's why he was bidding aggressively. We called him out on the b.s. story and man did he get defensive, lol.
KeepStacking

Postby pennypicker » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:33 pm

I recall back in 2011 I was at a residential moving sale where all items were being sold in auction style. Inside a glass case were some low end jewelry and an average circulated 1887 Morgan--it sold for $78 :o
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby messymessy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:49 pm

It's been a while, but I went to a small town auction and spent all the money I had with me on silver at below melt. The unusual old stuff was selling for a premium, but the lots of silver coins were mostly selling below melt. There's deals out there.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri May 15, 2015 2:16 am

NDFarmer wrote:
AuStruck wrote: There was overbidding on Morgan dollars.

I have been to many household auctions and coin auctions and I have found that the Morgan dollar is one of the most overbid, overpriced coin there is. Household auctions are the worst. People see a coin from the 1800's and they think WOW that has got to be worth a lot. I see slicks that I would consider culls sell for $50.00 to $60.00 all the time.

This... times 10!!! Morgans are ALWAYS overpriced. I go to 2-3 auctions a week and I have NEVER bought a Morgan at an auction. Don't ever think about buying a Gold coin as they are made from magic dust and worth almost double their melt value. The only PM's I buy is Sterling Silverware. I almost always get it way below spot. Before they get to the Silverware I take my small digital scale and weigh each one and documents its weight on my phone. That way when bidding starts, I know EXACTLY how much to spend and won't be blindly bidding like everyone else will be. Plus most auction sterling is antique and goes for quite a bit more online than spot.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals