Solar panels--how much silver do they really contain?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Solar panels--how much silver do they really contain?

Postby pennypicker » Sun May 31, 2015 8:37 am

I live here in the always sunny southern California Mohave Desert where we have 360 days of sun a year and average only five measurable days of precipitation--brutal! My next door neighbor just had solar panels installed and two months ago the neighbor across the street also had them installed. A month ago my brother had them installed on his home as well. The local church had them installed months ago though sadly to say one Sunday morning the congregation arrived only to see 17 of the panels had been stolen :o

Talk out here in the desert is that solar panels are the way of the future. So my question is roughly how much silver is there in one residential solar panel?
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Solar panels--how much silver do they really contain?

Postby DaMangRon » Sun May 31, 2015 8:50 am

20 grams per panel.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pennypicker » Sun May 31, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks DaMangRon.

My thinking of course is if residential solar panels really is the way of the future then how much of an impact will this place on the silver supply. 20 grams isn't much in itself but on a national scale it could really add up!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:35 pm

It would seem to add up, but not as much as we might like, internationally is where it's adding up right now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecul ... -industry/
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:04 pm

everything wrote:It would seem to add up, but not as much as we might like, internationally is where it's adding up right now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecul ... -industry/

Thank you for the outstanding and highly informative article. Covered and answered all my questions...and then some :thumbup:
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:33 pm

I was given opportunity to attend the 2014 silver summit in Spokane and Jefferey Christian (yes THE Jeff Christian that some silver people hate) gave a talk about the various demand aspects for silver going forward and one thing he point out is that while solar panels may have helped drive demand in recent years, like all technologies the panels are becoming more sophisticated and efficient and using less silver per panel. Look at how cell phones and computers have gotten smaller over time, same principle. That is not to say they won't be an important aspect of silver demand, but don't draw your projections based on current per panel use amounts.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby pennypicker » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:33 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:I was given opportunity to attend the 2014 silver summit in Spokane and Jefferey Christian (yes THE Jeff Christian that some silver people hate) gave a talk about the various demand aspects for silver going forward and one thing he point out is that while solar panels may have helped drive demand in recent years, like all technologies the panels are becoming more sophisticated and efficient and using less silver per panel. Look at how cell phones and computers have gotten smaller over time, same principle. That is not to say they won't be an important aspect of silver demand, but don't draw your projections based on current per panel use amounts.

Thanks AGgressive Metal for the sound advice!!
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:36 pm

Found another story on this from another forum, seems a little fluffy, anyways, thanks raspberry.

http://agorafinancial.com/2015/06/26/wh ... nd-silver/
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:49 pm

everything wrote:Found another story on this from another forum, seems a little fluffy, anyways, thanks raspberry.

http://agorafinancial.com/2015/06/26/wh ... nd-silver/

Another very informative article--much appreciated :thumbup:
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals