Silver's Future in Question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver's Future in Question

Postby theo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:06 pm

At the end of 2015 will I be writing a story declaring that sales of silver American Eagle bullion coins have declined 30 percent from the record 2014 level? . . . .

Silver buyers are clearly not getting ready to enjoy a huge price spurt. They are acting as if the price of the precious metal will be depressed for a long time.

Why buy now when you probably will get the same price, or even a lower price six months from now?

http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/silv ... e-question

It looks like we are finally seeing capitulation for physical buyers.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Silver's Future in Question

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:04 pm

What are the Maple stats? As beloved as the ASE is, the Maple not only has the cool security feature but has lower premiums, and may be gaining popularity. No stats to show for that thought except that there do seem to be several RC ers buying maples this year that used to buy more ASEs. I wonder if it is silver that has lost its luster, or the ASE.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:01 pm

True,

My LCS has finally started regularly carrying Maples and I have picked up a few. The author would likely argue that ASE sales represent silver demand in general, however it would be nice to have confirmation from Maples or even Phils.

Even if the decline is more broad-based, the reasons for the recent swoon in silver sales are probably more complex than near-term price predictions. It has been 6 1/2 years since the last crisis and 4 years since the heady days of 2011. While many of the stackers who started during (and before) those times are standing firm they IMO are becoming saturated. And since the economy has appeared stable for the past 4 years or so; there have not been enough new adherents to keep the ball rolling, even with the lower prices. The articles indicting the current fiat system are fundamentally accurate however too many have predicted the dollar's collapse "in mere months" and have lost credibility.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Verbane » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:12 am

theo wrote: ...While many of the stackers who started during (and before) those times are standing firm they IMO are becoming saturated. And since the economy has appeared stable for the past 4 years or so; there have not been enough new adherents to keep the ball rolling, even with the lower prices...

+1 :thumbup:

Another thought...
I remember reading that a lot of ASEs were exporting outside the U.S. the past few years. I wonder if the "strengthening" of the US Dollar against other currencies over the past year has made the ASE too expensive for export?

Exchange rates; Euro, Canada and Australia: June 1, 2014 to June 1,2015
Currecy hist (2).jpg
Currecy hist (2).jpg (58.67 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:22 pm

The Maples just set a record for the 1st quarter.
sold more of 'em than ever before.
http://srsroccoreport.com/canadian-silv ... d-q1-2015/
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:32 pm

lesse, now who was it that mentioned that the Maple sales may have increased? :)

Not to mention other mints - I just bought another tube of Brittanias.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:27 pm

68Camaro wrote:lesse, now who was it that mentioned that the Maple sales may have increased? :)

Not to mention other mints - I just bought another tube of Brittanias.

:sick: Green with envy :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals