Silver Dime in change! ^_^

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Dime in change! ^_^

Postby fansubs_ca » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:51 pm

Was at BK today, in my change there was a 1951 CDN dime (curent silver value $1.14 CDN)
and a U.S. dime (current value 12¢ CDN, though capturing that value is contingent on
visiting the U.S before the rate changes too much). So my meal ended up being slightly
cheaper as a result. ^_^

0.06 Troy Ounces more on the stack!
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Silver Dime in change! ^_^

Postby theshoenlebens » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:32 am

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:56 am

Little surprises are a lot of fun.

I used to eat at a diner in San Diego from 2002-2009. Lots of older customers. I culled one 90% JFK, six 90% quarters and about twenty 90% mercs and Roosies dimes during that time period. Some senior must have dug deep into an old change jar and not noticed.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:01 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Little surprises are a lot of fun.

I used to eat at a diner in San Diego from 2002-2009. Lots of older customers. I culled one 90% JFK, six 90% quarters and about twenty 90% mercs and Roosies dimes during that time period. Some senior must have dug deep into an old change jar and not noticed.

There was no old change jar. Your coins came from dead mens' collections and were probably squeezed out of coin tubes, that were marked "90% Silver", or popped out of 2x2s. These men are happy to be dead though. It does not bother them to be in a different widower's dimension watching their, know it all pain in the ass, wives buy coffee for their new handymen with silver coins.

It's just a matter of time until they [old know it all widow] buy western union money grams with rolls of silver quarters. These are the money grams they send to Jamaica so they can pay duty fees required to claim sweepstakes winnings.
Last edited by Thogey on Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:40 am

Thogey wrote:

There was no old change jar. Your coins came from dead mens' collections and were probably squeezed out of coin tubes, that were marked "90% Silver", or popped out of 2x2s. These men are happy to be dead though. It does not bother them to be in a different widower's dimension watching their, know it all pain in the ass, wives buy coffee for their new handymen with silver coins.

It's just a matter of time until they buy western union money grams with rolls of silver quarters. These are the money grams they send to Jamaica so they can pay duty fees required to claim sweepstakes winnings.

Wherever they came from... I am not complaining. :mrgreen:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:41 am

It's just a matter of time until they buy western union money grams with rolls of silver quarters. These are the money grams they send to Jamaica so they can pay duty fees required to claim sweepstakes winnings.[/quote]

How's your marriage been lately, Thogey? :lol: :lol:
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:26 pm

bankmining wrote:How's your marriage been lately, Thogey? :lol: :lol:

It's been like spending the last 20 years chewing on a wad of greasy steel wool
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:26 pm

bankmining wrote:How's your marriage been lately, Thogey? :lol: :lol:

It's been like spending the last 20 years chewing on a wad of greasy steel wool
Thogey

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:30 pm

Thogey wrote:

It's just a matter of time until they buy western union money grams with rolls of silver quarters. These are the money grams they send to Jamaica so they can pay duty fees required to claim sweepstakes winnings.

Sweet....more rolls of silver quarters for me while CRHing...bring it on! :)

On a separate note....about two months ago, I went through $100 of quarter rolls (customer wrapped) and found six silver quarters; I almost NEVER find a silver quarter anymore. To find six was beyond amazing. Yep, I went right back to that bank the same day and bought all of their dime and nickel rolls; I ended finding five silver dimes and one war nickel. The first trip earlier in the day yielded me two 40% halves along with those quarters. I'm guessing it was a widow that dumped most of the coins. Remember, every effort counts and every single coin counts!
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:08 pm

It's weird, all the silver I've ever gottern out of circulation has been in the last decade or so,
back in the 80s and 90s it would never be seen, at least around here. Maybe the people that
used to get to it before me have retired/died/moved away or something. I used to be convinced
that it was all picked out and locked up or smelted by that point.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:54 am

Very nice :thumbup:

A few days ago I found a "magicians coin" which is a 1960 dime Inbetted in a wheat Pennie. I actually thought about an error coin before coming to my senses :oops:

I also found a 1950 Canadian nickel but from what I hear there is now value there. Is this correct?

Thanks

SS
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:32 pm

silverstacker wrote:I also found a 1950 Canadian nickel but from what I hear there is now value there. Is this correct?

Well, just the nickel value, so unless nickel goes up and you accululate a lot you've
basically got 5¢. (Current melt value 5.3456¢ acording to Coinflation.com.) I'm still
saving any 99.9% pure nickels I get though.

Also today got a 1963 CDN silver dime in change at 7-11. Really weird to get 2 that
close together in time. Maybe it's worth trying to sort dimes now?

Anyways, time to log off and go to work...
Last edited by fansubs_ca on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:47 pm

fansubs_ca wrote:
silverstacker wrote:I also found a 1950 Canadian nickel but from what I hear there is now value there. Is this correct?

Well, just the nickel value, so unless nickel goes up and you accululate a lot you've
basically got 5¢. (Current melt value 5.3456¢ acording to Coinlation.com.) I'm still
saving any 99.9% pure nickels I get though.

Also today got a 1963 CDN silver dime in change at 7-11. Really weird to get 2 that
close together in time. Maybe it's worth trying to sort dimes now?

Anyways, time to log off and go to work...

Thanks for the info on this :thumbup:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals