What if it's Different this time?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What if it's Different this time?

Postby beauanderos » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:19 am

You read the commentaries from guys like Bron Suchecki, who says retailers are only out of small product because
of bottleneck's. In another thread, this was reinforced by a link provided by Copper Catcher.

This may apply to newly-fabricated products from gov't/private mints, sure... it's understandable when presented
as they did.

What about ninety percent junk silver? Common wisdom (normalcy bias) says that the high premiums on junk
is temporary and, that if you're willing to wait, junk will trickle back into the coffers at the online dealers and their
margins will shrink. Or, that prices will rise and the dealer's will return the stock they were holding back, or that higher
prices (when spot increases) offered by the LCS will entice people to sell (good luck with that).

BUT...

What if this time is different? What if the meager dribbles of junk silver we see listings for is the last gasp of ready
supply? Will those who wait for reasonable premiums on the junk they desire be punished, rather than rewarded?

I don't really think this is much different than backwardation. Some individuals are willing to pay what others scorn as
unreasonably high premiums on junk (where's JFF when we need him :o ) because they'd rather have cold hard metal
in their hands, obtained at the price of a few more worthless bills of fiat... than wait (and hope!) that prices will recede.

What think you? Wait... and hope to find/buy (better be damned quick!) when bargains appear? Or grab what you can
while you still can? I predict that even the outrageously high priced websites offering junk will sell out as well, so that
you will soon discover across the board scarcity of junk. Particularly if the price suppression continues or intensifies.

And yes, you can still find buy it now junk on ebay (for now) at 15.5 to 16X face... or get into bidding wars and pay shipping on top.

If you're willing to turn your money over to ANY online dealer, and wait six weeks for delivery, better hope they're not another
Tulving or BullionDirect :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What if it's Different this time?

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:34 am

Different or not, I pretty much stopped buying 90% when the premiums went above spot, and then 80% at the same. More than happy with what I've got and will not pay the premiums for more!
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:43 pm

As evidenced by the quickly sold offerings here and across the board. 90% is in high demand even with the premiums.
I fondly recall a statement heard often by my wise (millionaire) younger brother. " the government will always make more money"
They aren't making anymore junk 90% coin
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:48 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:As evidenced by the quickly sold offerings here and across the board. 90% is in high demand even with the premiums.
I fondly recall a statement heard often by my wise (millionaire) younger brother. " the government will always make more money"
They aren't making anymore junk 90% coin

No they aren't making junk 90% coin, the humble citizens of Guangdong are.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:58 pm

Lucky us
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:49 pm

Its the Peace $ at $25 ++ when melt is $11.35 and Morgans above that

When LCS is spot + $2.00 for .999 fresh Minted :?
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:45 pm

Rosco wrote:Its the Peace $ at $25 ++ when melt is $11.35 and Morgans above that

When LCS is spot + $2.00 for .999 fresh Minted :?

I'll never forget back in 2011 when silver was at $40 and the LCS (Eugene Coin & Jewelry) in beautiful Eugene, Oregon was buying ASE's for $40 and Peace dollars for $25...
...that's why I will never again buy Peace dollars and will always buy an ASE instead...especially now when I can buy an ASE for $18 and a Peace for $20+. The ASE has far more of an upside.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:11 pm

Peace dollars for $25 when spot is at $40 makes no sense. The melt value of them would be $32. I think your memory of that detail is off, but if not it definitely was an odd one off situation with a specific shop at a particular time.

But your point is taken - when prices rise the premiums on 90% usually drop to near zero while ASEs will usually retain at least 1-2 over.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pennypicker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:04 pm

68Camaro wrote:Peace dollars for $25 when spot is at $40 makes no sense. The melt value of them would be $32. I think your memory of that detail is off, but if not it definitely was an odd one off situation with a specific shop at a particular time.

But your point is taken - when prices rise the premiums on 90% usually drop to near zero while ASEs will usually retain at least 1-2 over.

That LCS at that time had a huge demand for ASE's and 1 oz generic silver rounds. There was very little demand for junk Peace dollars and when the owner would build up a pile of say 200 or so he would just wholesale them off. This was a high-volume LCS with six employees regularly manning the counter and even then there was usually a line to get serviced. He paid good money for what he could turn quickly (ASE's and 1 oz generic rounds) and little money for that which gathered dust. In fact every LCS I called that day in western Oregon had consistent buy/sell spreads on ASE's (roughly $4) and very wide spreads on Peace dollars with one shop in Albany, Oregon having a $10 spread on Peace dollars.

At that time silver melt on the Peace was $30.90.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:15 am

Well, each time we go around this there is less 90% on the table because in the intervening
periods where it's around or below spot some gets smelted and there is always the trickle
of coins that are either made into jewlery or sometimes simply lost. So the amount of
demand that it takes to make the market "tight" is less than what it did last time.

That said pick a different form that's a bit less tight if you are in buying mode. Though
I'm hanging on to the 90% I have right now, I'm not really buying more either at this exact
moment so the premium doesn't directly or immediately affect me.

Are those of you who regularily go into a local coin shop finding the dealers are just making
their spread on 90% wider or are you finding a serious premium on their offering price as well?
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:07 am

johnbrickner wrote:Different or not, I pretty much stopped buying 90% when the premiums went above spot, and then 80% at the same. More than happy with what I've got and will not pay the premiums for more!

Same here. My thoughts exactly.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals