Trading Silver and Flipping?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Trading Silver and Flipping?

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:30 am

Has anyone experience with trading silver to get "stuff", then selling the stuff to buy more silver. Then repeat, repeat, repeat.

What kind of items flip well, and can be got cheap for silver?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Trading Silver and Flipping?

Postby beauanderos » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:36 am

you might get stuck with too much stuff... and be unable to flip it. I'd rather hold the silver... although in concept, you might have a good idea there. :thumbup:

maybe ammo?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:17 am

I buy stuff cheap, sell at profit for cash. Spend cash on silver. While your idea sounds good the market may be limited by silver buyers/traders.
You could test the market on craigslist.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:35 pm

I've done a few swaps when the silver/gold ratio is high. Last year I sold a few rolls of BU Morgans (1921) and used 50% of the proceeds to buy Au. I allocate about 30% of my pay to buy some type of Au. I believe Au is a ridiculous bargain that current levels. The premiums on Ag bullion are very high right now.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:55 pm

Not exactly "trading" but I go to self-serve wrecking yards and pull quality parts from GM cars 1987 and older. I then sell the parts on ebay for profit and use the profit to purchase silver.

It's always exciting when you turn down that next row of cars never knowing what you will stumble on--like the '73 Monte Carlo I came across recently with a great looking interior. Removed everything but the carpet, seats and headliner. Bought a nice stack of silver with the ebay profits :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:11 pm

I've done silver-guns-silver.

Gun guys usually trade in PM's too. But this is in Arizona.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby InfleXion » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:34 pm

I'm a fan of semi-numismatic coins that generally sell for only a slight premium over eagles and maples, but have a limited mintage and unique design which tends to cause premiums to rise after a few years. I haven't sold any yet, but if and when I decide to sell my first order of business will be intending to sell my higher premium coins (hopefully due to that premium having ballooned) to buy back something with less of a premium so as to expand my total ounces.

I also watch the GSR and did time a decent trade back at 44:1 where I sent 20 ounces of silver for some fractional gold even though 30:1 would have been better which we nearly got to in 2011, but ultimately my goal is to trade fiat for real money. With a high GSR like we have today it means buy more silver, and/or trade gold for silver if you have more gold than you need. I do not think 20:1 is out of the realm of possibility, and would be happy to get another crack at 30:1. Last time around I was still building my core position and was not interested in trading anything away yet. I would rather miss a profit than give up my bird in hand, but when I have enough birds I might be willing to let some fly away.

My approach opts for making a small number of calculated (and hopefully successful) big moves as opposed to doing a lot of turnover for adding up smaller profits in larger numbers. One of those moves being general accumulation of metal at suppressed prices.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals